Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

No CPC continuity at all in a domestic garage fed underground from the main house. Loss of continuity caused by a) loose gland nut on an SWA termination into a steel surface box. It was impossible to tighten the locking nut because the back box lug fouled the nut! b) the gland to steel box termination at the other end was corroded so no connectivity at all between the back box and the gland. Even if there was no corrosion present then there was no fly lead between the back box and the circuit CPC, co the connectivity would have relied on the front plate (plastic 13A socket outlet) screws only. The front plate screws were corroded and had extenders as well. Re terminated the lot using lug rings on the glands for the fly leads and suitable back boxes. The wiring had been previously untouched for probably 20 years or maybe 30 years like that. Including a CU change probably around 10 years earlier. I spotted the problem when an extra socket was required in the garage.

Found this last week on a domestic Safety Inspection for a home buyer. What appeared to be a recent and nicely installed DSSO in a bedroom, trunking neatly along the skirting board for the cable. Decided I would take a look behind the cover and found a flex, looked further around the room and found there was a plug top on the end of the flex which in turn was plugged into 5 way multiway extension lead. It begs the question if I found this on a Periodic Inspection would I C2 (depending on the cable size and length) or C3 it. Or maybe highlight it as an advisory note only because it is not actually part of the installed fixed wiring. Responses not required on this thread as this post is more just to highlight that it is worth following up when you you seem something out of place.

Attachments

• Photo0192.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 208
What on earth is one of these?
Ah, yes, I should not have used capitalisation on safety inspection which may have confused you. The choice of words not ideal either. It was a priced quick visual (mostly) inspection offered to a potential buyer in to advise and quote for other work that might be necessary for example a replacement CU, a rewire or just a periodic inspection. A better description for the job would have been a chargeable visit to quote for other work.

Last edited:
yverugyj.jpg

I'm just bumping some of the older threads in the general electrical forum that had a lot of replies. They might not be current topics, if they're not, just ignore them and they'll soon drop off the list. If you DO wish to add a reply and get the conversation going again, feel free to do so. Your input might help somebody else in the future.

I'm just bumping some threads in the Electrical Forum, don't mind me while I do this, you don't have to respond to them. Although if they are still current topics, and you do wish to reply, you're welcome to. Keep the thread on-topic and make sure you stick to the forum rules though.

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net