Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Unbelievable, I was called out this morning to a home with reported no power at sockets. A this home I had previously found faults before that were caused by poor workmanship (see post #1517) by others before me. On the way I was wondering if it was something I had done. The problem reported was an RCD covering 9 circuits would not stay in, sometimes. The first problem I had was the neutrals and earths were not in the correct terminations in the CU busbars, and because it was a busy dual tariff board it took about an hour to sort that out and trace the problem to a circuit labeled "panel heaters". I completely isolated the circuit wiring and put the power back on to stop for a cup of tea. But no power still on the ring. After poking around with the voltage tester I found there was no connection across the neutral pole of the RCD. Closer inspection resulted in the neutral input wire falling out of the RCD, the screw had not ever been tightened! It was held firmly in place by the pressure of the cable coming through a tight bend on the approach. Then still problems because the CU was one of those push onto busbar Quickline models and the RCD had now pulled off the busbar at the top and it was a right fiddle to get it to fit securely. Finally got the cup of tea and then decided to trace the problem on the panel heater circuit. Switched off both panel heaters, still a fault. Pulled the covers off the panel heater SF spurs and to my surprise found the wiring live (with voltage tester). But I had wiring for the circuit at CU completely disconnected. Discovered the labels were incorrect on the CU (doh). A few minutes later I had worked out it was a neutral earth fault on a day rate Immersion water heater circuit, not panel heater circuit. Whoever refitted a 2nd bathroom with a new shower had inserted a new MCB in slot 2 and moved all the circuits along one without changing the labels, compounded by the fact the labels were incorrect at the time of the shift anyway. So me thinks no problem, the customer can use the off peak for water heating for now until sort the Immersion in slower time. But no, they had canceled the eco7 on the metered supply. I now have an immersion heater change job tomorrow morning :-( wish me luck with unscrewing it.

ier and a lump hammer. gentle taps till it moves. mmersion heater spann

bloody laptop scrambling text. wrist touches on board mouse pad and bollox to my typing.

women, they have many faults:

men have ony two:

everything they say, and everything they do.

A few years ago I was conducting a PIR inspection in a small joinery premises. There were two DBs in the building one being on all the time and fed the office small power,all lighting and alarms etc.
The other DB fed the machinery in the joinery workshop,this DB was supplied via a 3 phase RCD.
Heres the good bit, the emergency stop buttons in the workshop were wired so when one of them was
hit it created an N to earth short and thus tripped the RCD supplying the machine DB.
Apparently it had been like that for years.

Had one the other day a live phase wire arching to metal backbox only when voltage applied remove excess wire fitted correctly did continuity and if tests before powering up and all good. According to client it has been like that for years.

Makes a change to have a nice and easy one, a busted electric kettle trips RCD and takes out ring circuit and few other circuits with it.

Incredible, today had a fault almost the same. But this time it was faulty Coffee Peculator that tripped out the RCD and took out half the lights and power to the kitchen.

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net