Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tuesday's fault, rcd wouldn't reset, customer had already unplugged al appliances and located it to fhe general areas ring. Tested the lot, IR, continuity, visual at every point I could find, nothing amiss anywhere (although know of a join below floor near CU), then neighbour knocks to tell me the underneath of his house had flooded and the cavity was full of water.

Put it on unprotected side for Christmas, will sort Monday when it's dried out a bit.

Found a ring main fault today. I was doing the testing after adding a socket on a spur. The signs of a problem started with open circuit on the ring neutral and then a N-E insulation resistance measurement that took just a little longer than usual to settle. But things had changed after deciding to double check appliance on the ring was isolated. I was sure I had ring continuity earlier. I finally found the fault in a switched fused spur to a washing machine. One of the ring neutrals connected into the load side of the switch, and the load neutral was where the leg of the ring should have been. It had been like that since the property was built in 1996. If the washing machine isolator switch was on then the ring sort of worked OK, but when it was off all was not well.

Two months ago in the same property I did a direct replacement of a DSSO on the same ring that had an overheated (charred) line (live) connection terminal. My first thought today was the was the overheating was caused by overload on the broken ring. But of course it could not be because the line ring was always OK. The only common factor between the loose terminal on the DSSO and the mis wired 13A Fused Spur was the installer in 1996.

I found this the other day. Load side of FCU going back to board as the 2nd 'leg' - i would like to think absent mindedness (or a hangover!!) rather than sheer incompetence caused this

Nice simple job I had , add 2 extra sockets in a 1970's house installed the sockets , the tested ,then opened the can of worms the install was one ring 10 sockets , out of the 10 1 had an earth tails out Ring tests all open circuit so started to work from the one socket , open circuit readings on the cpc , floor up located cable and re tested open circuit replaced cable cable cpc had broken half way down , new leg test no earth at the next socket open circuit on cpc skirting board nail through the cable , replaced test next socket other side of the wall no earth open circuit on cpc , yep skirting board nail through the cable , next socket no earth , open circuit readings on cpc L and N , not so easy to replace as it was in the kitchen , cupboard fixing screw through cable in 2 places , replaced leg , next socket open circuit readings no earth , return leg 3 holes through cable one filled with cement , replaced both legs , next socket ok but no continuity on ring located loose live and neutral , open circuit on cpc , found damaged cable , still no continuity on cpc's , located a junction box under the floor cpc's cut off fixed and all continuity's ok virtually rewired the ring !!! had a new consumer unit 10 years ago but had the RCD replaced with a main switch , i wonder why ,, obviously no testing had beed carried out as the original skirting board nails were through the cables and hole that were drilled into the cables were from the original kitchen so looking at it 40 years with no earth on the sockets nice 10 hours of fault finding and repairs to put it right !!!

32A MCB & RCD tripping, 1 half of kitchen radial in 2.5mm T&E from CU terminated at fused spur which is feeding 5 socket outlets in 1.5mm T&E and 12 downlighters + outside light and extractor fan in wall in 1.5mm T&E.
Gas cooker and gas oven ignition's into plug adapter, installation been like this for over 14 years, no certs.
Socket Radial IR 0.5MO; Lighting circuit 0.3MO. Gonna re-new the socket radial cables and as customer wants the downlights replacing so gonna re-new that circuit too.

Got rid of annoying message removal too lol :-}

spider pulled out to repair a door bell... wooden box above a mirror cabinet ,there was a unenclosed 50watt halogen sitting in that space too, plasterboard doing for its lid... £50k renovation job, come on :-(
informed the customer, been told that shes been helped with all her money+savings by them builders. charged £30 for call out and door bell repair and left home...

canonbury.jpg

Worst I've found , mostly because I'm sure the customer did it himself An alarm panel supplied via an old Wylex switch fuse unit with four core alarm cable, the incomer fed from the meter terminals. 30 amp bs3036 in SF but tiny cable connected red live, black neutral, yellow CPR, who can accuse him of not caring.

muzy9e4u.jpg

Took the board cover off and ta-da!

Who needs din rails!

there you go again. nit-picking my work before it's been taped up! :59:

u9enapad.jpg
qa4yna8y.jpg
3e4y2u8e.jpg
y3yvy6us.jpg
sama7yny.jpg

No continuity on live side of ring. Spent half a day searching until I spotted the coat hooks screwed into the wall above where the old wylex board was..

Been there about 35 years with only one leg of the ring going.

Today I have been mostly hunting buried junction boxes..!
y7unygu8.jpg

e4ana8yq.jpg

This is actually the old metal light fitting, complete with lovely swept bends on the metal conduit feeding into and out of it.

6utepuby.jpg

Some clown had decided to not bother about the CPCs. All of them snipped out, short...!
ha5a7a2a.jpg

And it's the same at pretty much every lighting point and switch, cpc snipped out.

Re: Tell us about your faults !

Imagine the scene,Friday afternoon about 3 oclock,office gets a call,a 2KW heater gone down in the securitys site office,(cant have the security guards getting cold,they wont be able to fall asleep)anyway i get the job to go and replace said heater,site was around an hours drive from where i was,i eventually get there report to site manager,then have to show my cscs and get inducted on site,all the usual rubbish.No risk assesment no method statement,site manager reluctantly lets me get to work,its around 5 oclock now and not even got my screwdriver out,site manager standing over me,i guess he wanted to go home,im rushing around like somebody possessed,isolate heater circuit and disconnect heater from SFU fit new heater to wall wire it up energise circuit test heater nothing aaaarrrrhhhh.Lots of colourful language by this stage,site managers pacing up and down,i ask him any chance of a brew. Well didnt get brew tested SFU,its not swiching no probs run to van get new SFU safely isolate again,but now have to dissconnect circuit cables,CPC and N touch taking out whole site,ask site agent for keys to CU,their on the way to liverpool,site sparks got them in his pocket.When a very angry site spark returned i set main switch and everything was fine.I left site at 19.30.The moral behind this story is rushing gets you nowhere fast.Istill didnt get a brew,but the guards were nice and warm.

Ha great story..... i can definately relate to it. And it makes it ten times worst with someone standing over your shoulder. pmsl

IMG_20140413_131703.jpg
20A junction box used to extend the line tail. BTW somebody ran out of red cable! Oh, and a little matter of forgetting to connect the earth bar in the fuseboard to the MET - must have run out of black cable as well then.

Had a broken neutral on the kitchen ring in a block of flats that's been up less than 13 months.

Tracked it down and noticed it went up behind a wall unit, off it came, and this is what I found

ujeny4a6.jpg

That reminds me of a new block of social housing flats I worked in, no continuity on the ring in the kitchen at all, opened all the spurs/skts, some idiot does not known load from supply!!!

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net