Discuss Testing and comissioning in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Reid

Hi all,

so I have been working for an electrical company for several years now and every test we do Is covered by our employer under the nic eic. I have also acquired private work mainly family and friends, my question is how do I go about testing and certificating? being nvq level 3 qualified it is my understanding I can t&I my own work providing I use blank certificates i.e non nic sheets.

if someone could point us in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

thanks peeps,

Hi all,

so I have been working for an electrical company for several years now and every test we do Is covered by our employer under the nic eic. I have also acquired private work mainly family and friends, my question is how do I go about testing and certificating? being nvq level 3 qualified it is my understanding I can t&I my own work providing I use blank certificates i.e non nic sheets.

if someone could point us in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

thanks peeps,

All notifiable work must be notified using one of the three routes recognised by the Department of Communities and Local Government in England:

Route 1: Direct notification through Local Authority Building Control
The homeowner must contact Building Control directly to ensure that a Building Control Officer visits the installation and issues a compliance certificate. The cost for this can vary depending on area.

Route 2: Self-certification through a recognised scheme such as ELECSA, NICEIC, NAPIT, STROMA, etc.

Route 3: Certification by a registered Third Party
In the latest Approved Document, a provision has been made for an alternative route for installers who are not registered competent persons (Route 2) and wish to appoint a registered third-party certifier to inspect and test the work as necessary.

Last edited:
Part P has not changed in Wales.
It is the same now as the original Part P in England from 2010, neither of which allowed 3rd party sign off by "other" electrical contractors.
In England this has now been allowed, at the same time as the reduction in notifiable works.
I can't glean from the original Part P where 3rd party sign of by a body other than that controlled by the LABC is allowed.

The link is from the Welsh government
It talks.about.third party
It state England and Wales

If you read the third page of this part p, posted by the Welsh government
Stating it is for.England and Wales
And the follow on to 1.28 to.read.about 3rd part, what has been in there since 2010
1. 28

Last edited by a moderator:
Your can sign up to do 3rd.part with napit and Stroma
It's to take the work.load off the government department
And put in the hands of people whom should know what they are.looking at

Person whom isn't with a governing body
Can get a electrician (the 3rd party) to test the work
Then says as only testing can't do a EIC

Do a EIRC as you can't say about the hidden cables

And off your "private" work don't forget:

1. To notify your employer or you could get the sack
2. Notify HMRC and register for self employment
3. Notify your vehicle insurance company that you are doing business mileage
4. Have your own PL insurance
5. Have your own PI insurance if you are doing EICR's
6. Have a separate bank account for your business dealings
7. Record all your invoices, Certs and purchases

think that's most of it covered!

Yeah I'm sure he and hundreds of others in the same position will do all that before they accept a bit of cash for changing a light fitting or putting in an extra socket for a 'friend of a friend' :confused:

NICEIC also dont write the requirements of Part P.

I NEVER SAID THEY DID

Now ..

Myself and Paul were talked (as no one else chipped in with that point) about wales taking the 3rd Party Bit, as suggest in Part P.

Now as there is a LOT OR COWBOYS who say they are Qualified and Dont Bother to read the POSTS.
I talked to a GUY, whom worked for NICEIC as a Assessor, ONE ON ONE, and ASKED him, as i figured if ANY ONE he should know.

Dont read too much in to THINGS

I know that PART P has HM Goverment written at the TOP . i Maybe THICK but im not that THICK

I NEVER SAID THEY DID

Now ..

Myself and Paul were talked (as no one else chipped in with that point) about wales taking the 3rd Party Bit, as suggest in Part P.

Now as there is a LOT OR COWBOYS who say they are Qualified and Dont Bother to read the POSTS.
I talked to a GUY, whom worked for NICEIC as a Assessor, ONE ON ONE, and ASKED him, as i figured if ANY ONE he should know.

Dont read too much in to THINGS

I know that PART P has HM Goverment written at the TOP . i Maybe THICK but im not that THICK

Why should he? Its LABC who should know and be giving you the relevant guidance on thier requirements.

Why should he? Its LABC who should know and be giving you the relevant guidance on thier requirements.

and there is the PROBLEM, if you read the POSTS, you would seen i have a LINK TO THE WELSH GOVERMENT
with the PART P for a DOWNLOAD that said that THIRD PARTY WAS OK..

So i got the WELSH GOVERMENT posting a PART P doc that is say YES
I got a Welsh Guy, whom has looked in to it saying NO
I then asked someone Else, who is a electrician and he said NO too
(guessing he has been vetted and can do the job, i would also hope that if he didnt know, he would of said I DONT KNOW, or I dont give a Hoot its in Wales, i would except)

So i will EMAIL the and ASK them [email protected]

1.28 of Approved Document P for use in Wales explains that a third party cannot sign off an installation as they have not supervised the work. The work can only be signed off by the person responsible for undertaking the work (or local authority/Approved Inspector route of inspection).

In 2013 in England they introduced a system of registered third party certification. Members of this scheme would need to be registered with CLG the Government Department responsible for Building Regulations. This system includes a approval process before they can undertake any third party work.

Reply to Testing and comissioning in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net