Discuss Testing concern in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
In a refurb building in the corridors the current install is clicks (gregs) and switched fused spurs above a grided ceiling. Now the client wants a solid ceiling with no access points adjacent to clicks / spurs. Do if there were any future electrical issues it would mean access hatches.

My concern is as a tester can we energise a circuit(s) which we know will have no easy access in the event of a fault .

Also is there a statutory regulation (so not bs7671) which says they cannot do this .

Cheers for any help

In a refurb building in the corridors the current install is clicks (gregs) and switched fused spurs above a grided ceiling. Now the client wants a solid ceiling with no access points adjacent to clicks / spurs. Do if there were any future electrical issues it would mean access hatches.

My concern is as a tester can we energise a circuit(s) which we know will have no easy access in the event of a fault .

Also is there a statutory regulation (so not bs7671) which says they cannot do this .

Cheers for any help
Don't know the Reg No but it does say that all joints etc have to be accessible, unless MF

Hi - from a statutory viewpoint the Electricity At Work Regulations 1989 says lots about installations to be constructed to be safe, able to be maintained to be safe and any work on them can be carried out safely. Further, for specific guidance I think it's normal for the lawyer types to refer to BS7671 (and other BS) to establish if reasonable efforts have been made.

Anyone who thinks having switches and fuses above a solid ceiling is a good idea isn't really thinking straight, regs or not. Daz

We have a client who always have solid ceilings in the retail area of the shop. They always have access hatches, normally near the AC units. Above these hatches are all the Klix lighting points and AC switches. How you would achieve this as a retrofit I do not know, short of some rewiring to locate all the FCUs and Klix roses to common areas with access hatches, I mean you can't have multiple access points in the new ceiling.

are the lights CAT II, because he will have to have holes for the lights to sit in therefore access is OK. If not a marshalling point in a discrete place with access hatch?

Reply to Testing concern in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock