Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss testing existing installations to current edition of BS 7671 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Dave the spark

Dave the spark learning all the time

A question, if you please...

When testing an existing installation BS 7671 states that it should be tested to the current edition of regs, and that doesn't necessarily mean the installation will be dangerous if wired previous to that edition.

My question is, how should you code for no RCD protection for additional protection? Is this, in all cases, a code 2 observation?

I'm still gaining experience in testing and inspection and currently sitting my 2394/95. So, in short, no snide answers:D

2. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    That is a judgement call for the inspector to make. Personally I can see circumstances where it would warrant a C2 observation and also circumstances where it would warrant a C3 observation.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dave the spark

That was my thoughts on it tbh. So for instance, where I might C2 a shower without RCD protection I'd probably only C3 a bathroom light fitting/switch. I'm talking purely domestic here btw.

I wouldn't mind your thoughts on coding socket outlets without RCD protection, in my mind I could see reasons for C2, supplying portable outdoor equipment. Do you code the circuit as whole or the sockets individually which would more likely to be used for such?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

[QUOTE="Dave the spark

I wouldn't mind your thoughts on coding socket outlets without RCD protection, in my mind I could see reasons for C2, supplying portable outdoor equipment. Do you code the circuit as whole or the sockets individually which would more likely to be used for such?

Thanks for the reply.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest your thoughts on various coding for your "own" perception of the dangers of each situation is exactly the way to proceed with the gaining of experience of test and inspect
    If the decision making is allied with competence that would seem to make the ideal inspector

regards the socket circuit question
    I think the circuit has a whole would now have to be coded
    Although at the time of original installation,the likely to supply outdoor equipment may suggest an individual outlet needing RCD protection
    The improvement you recomend should bring the whole of the circuit to current requirements

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Hmm, you want to test to the current edition, then state you can see reasons to use code 2 for something that isn't a requirement in the current edition, and hasn't been a requirement for over 10 years?
    Also, unless the installation is either Horticultural or Agricultural, there is not now and never has been a requirement for a socket circuit to be provided with RCD protection.

To my mind, any observations should make reference to a particular Regulation that is not being complied with.

6. westward10

westward10 Please don't bore me with your life story. Electrician's Arms

The absence of rcd protection needs a minimum C3 entry and as already stated this is down to the inspector. I agree I would C2 the socket being used for equipment out of doors but would C3 the shower.

7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

8. Dave the spark

Why on the domestic eicr inspection schedule then, does it ask for provision of additional protection by a 30mA RCD for all socket outlets of rating of 20A or less?
    I'm genuinely interested and keen to learn but I think your post had an air of pomposity about it. Apologies if I've taken it the wrong way.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I realise coding has a degree of ambiguity and personal preference. I'm just trying to be clear in my head as to a consensus for certain observations.

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

That's why the best practice guide comes in handy as you can point customers at it......

10. Dave the spark

I'll have a read at that tonight while I'm studying for my 2395 written. I've passed 4/5 exams so far for the 2394/95 so this is my last one and I'm hoping for a first time clean sweep

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wilko

Wilko Gorillas are Great Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Good luck Dave !

12. Dave the spark

Cheers Wilko, I'll update this thread after Wednesday. Although it'll probs be another 7-8 weeks before I get a result

13. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

I'm confused by your post here I must admit.
    Daz

• Like Like x 2
  14. westward10

westward10 Please don't bore me with your life story. Electrician's Arms

You aren't alone there.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dave the spark

Thank God. Thought it was just me!o_O

• Like Like x 2