Discuss Testing RCD on shower circuit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

but 434.2 applies. the cable size is reduced from the tails size ( 16mm?) to the 6mm or 10mm of the shower circuit, so IMO that 6mm ( or 10mm ) should be protected with a suitable overload device. also, if the tails are henley blocked before the main CU, then any fault current is on the DNO fuse.

Last edited:
but 434.2 applies. the cable size is reduced from the tails size ( 16mm?) to the 6mm or 10mm of the shower circuit, so IMO that 6mm ( or 10mm ) should be protected with a suitable overload device. also, if the tails are henley blocked before the main CU, then any fault current is on the DNO fuse.

It's that IQ mate .....................always stirring things like you can't export a PME earth:devilish:

cpc not earthed. broken connection somewhere. do a R1+R2.

IMO "export " is a bad term. to export something means moving it from 1 place to another, when you are not doing that, you are extending it.

2 questions there mate.

1. exporting earth is where you have an installation ( typically a house ) with a TN earthing system.then you want to put power in a garage, shed whatever. the remote building can either have a TT system, independent of the house, or you can " export " the house earthing to the remote building.

2. on a like for like replacement of an accessory, you don't need to do any certification, but it would do no harem to complete a MEWIC.

minor electrical works installation certificate or MWC when not in c&g la,la land.

Test between live neutral and earth on the terminals at the shower 1/2 rated, x1 full cycle and x5 full cycle record highest values from x1 and x5.

it was before the thread diverged into exporting earths.

I just looked through the thread and other than an insulation resistance test,nothoing else
Forget the Rcd for a moment, have you done an earth loop test ?

No i didn't, just IR test as i thought something must have been touching, the earth was completely bare with no sheathing as it disappeared up into the ceiling. Also instead of the switch plate being earthed the 2 cpcs were joint together with a connector block which i thought was weird, so i was in the process of removing the connector block when i got a zap. I'd turned off the main switch believing i'd isolated it, didn't realise it was being fed from a separate rcd, which was still on. Anyway after i'd connected it all up and the shower was working i was pushing the unusualy long cpc back into the box when it went BANG!

Reply to Testing RCD on shower circuit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock