Discuss Testing somebody elses work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
As the title suggests this is somthing that i have recieved a phone call about today. Basically the customer has had ' a friend ' to install a double socket for them. The property is council let, and the local council are now asking that the work be certified. Ive got no idea what the installation is like as i havnt visited the property yet. Dont really like to turn work down especially being new to self employment. Im not part of any scheme but am registered with the LABC as a competant person. Is this somthing you would recommend i steer clear of? As far as the testing is concerned should i be looking at a condition report rather than a minor works, as i havnt installed anything myself. Although i have my 2391, condition reports are somthing i dont have a great deal of experience with. Can i just do a condition report for the work/circuit worked on?

I would not issue a cert as I can't say how it was built. So it's either "start again" or a condition report, in my humble opinion :)

if you can check the work and be sure it complies, then as long as you are prepared to accept liability for it, then give the guy a MWC.

Do a condition report making it clear this is all you can provide. Go for it you don't to be part of a scheme to do this.

problem is that a EICR supposedly covers the whole installation. a bit overkill for an added bloody socket.

It could be limited to one circuit if the client was okay with that.

I would do it without any hesitation. But I am registered third party competent with my scheme. As @telectrix said it is only a ------ socket, not a full blown installation. You can define the extent of what you are covering, lets not disappear up our own ermm....nvm.

With this being a council owned property, I would want the tenant to obtain the action to be taken in writing from the council. If not, I wouldn't want to know.

As long as the council are willing to accept a cert from yourself (because you aren't registered with nic or similar) then issue an EICR only for the one circuit. As long as your are competent and can issue correctly completed paperwork to bs 7671 then there shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you fill in the purpose and limitations section to state you have only been asked to inspect the one circuit.

Thanks for the replys. Just got back from having visited the property. So the work that has been carried out is one additional dual socket outlet chased into the living room wall, customer says that guy who did the work had floor boards up on the landing so i assume he's spurred of a leg of the ring there. I cant verify this so thinking of issuing a condition report just for the work thats been carried out. Bonding is in place and there is RCD protection

anyway if You are registered with NICEIC or NAPIT as a THIRD PARTY CERTIFIER , You can basically commissioning somebody elses works

Spurred off the ring under the floor boards?

Not a great start......

Why didn't the person who Did the work not sign it off...

And from a general perspective, if you are SE surely you know what you can and can't do....

Spurred off the ring under the floor boards?

Not a great start......

Why didn't the person who Did the work not sign it off...

And from a general perspective, if you are SE surely you know what you can and can't do....
only been self employed for three weeks after working dircet for the same company for nearly 15 years. My initial thoughts were to issue a Minor Works providing i could check the new install and all earth/bonding was in place despite not doing the work myself as others have said on here its only one dual socket and not a complete install. Without being able to verify where the socket has been fed from im now thinking a condition report on the new work only. Given the different replys recieved on this thread it seems everyone has a different opinion.

What type of circuit is the spur taken from?
What type of cable has been used for the spur?
How is the spur connected to the circuit?
Has the cable been run through any joists?
Are the test results satisfactory?
2.5 mm2 twin & earth and thats all i know without taking floor boards up. No test results hence why i have been called in. I found out after visiting the property that it was actually the local council who gave the tenant my number.

As you may know it is a standard disclaimer on the EICR (Section D Pg 424 BYB) under floor boards are not included. Relevant tests etc. Yep even with revelations and jubilations. And tbh, if I had any misgivings I would take the floorboards up just to satisfy myself.

If you were charging to inspect a spur and you can't find the connection to the ring,then surely you would have no choice but to lift the boards to find the connection.....

Reply to Testing somebody elses work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock