Discuss Testing steel conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
First time i have worked with steel conduit as a cpc and wondering how to get a decent R2 test.

The back boxes are showing signs of corrosion and so is the conduit where it is exposed so would like to test to see if i'll need to add a cpc to the circuits.

I have a kewtech 65dl tester and access to a wander lead.

The client ideally wants all the back boxes changed over and metal flat plate sockets added so want to make sure the cpc protection is there.

The previous owners wiring is a nightmare. There was an earth stolen off the bonding to supply two spur sockets and sockets spurred in all directions in trunking

get your mft with 1 lead clipped on the MET, other lead onto wander lead. null leads. then take end of wander lead to each accessory. record each resistance.

Thanks guys.

Thats what i was wondering Lee, even if i change all the back boxes over to new ones there will still be corrosion on exposed parts of the conduit. Someone suggested Galvanising Spray might work but i'm not sure on that.

The test certificate from 2 years ago has acceptable readings on it, but I've uncovered 6 sockets that were hidden behind the old kitchen that aren't very healthy looking

Testing will only give you your answer. Depends if the corrosion is only on the surface.. you'll be ok. I stripped out galv uni this week that was corroded by acid, you wouldn't have got much of a reading from that

You can, of course, get out there with a couple of pairs of pump pliers and conduit spanner to physically check the conduit joints. - that is, the ones that are visible. That should give some indication of the quality of installation

If the conduit is corroded then it may no longer be suitable as an earthed metallic enclosure for single insulated cables.

Reply to Testing steel conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock