Discuss Tests before alterations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I had a case today where, if I'd not done things properly, I would have ended up with exactly the same outcome, just saved myself half an hour or so of my time.

Swapping a couple of horrible fancy ceiling lights for standard ceiling rose (landing) and integral LED light (bathroom). Upstairs lighting circuit protected by 6A RCBO, also supplies alarm. Always do tests before tinkering (unless recent credible cert), so quick IR test, (L+N) to E: tester voltage won't go above about 20V, sign of a very low IR. Continuity about 6kΩ N to E: surprised the RCBO not tripping! (RCD test ok).

Start with usual suspects.

- Make sure RCBO fully disconnected.
- Alarm system? Disconnect. No.
- Funny timer switch thing (guess the sort of thing you use when you're on holiday to make it look like you're in, fits on a standard pattress)? Disconnect. No.
- Outside light? No, spurred off socket circuit.
- Manky-looking bathroom fan? SFCU (DP). No.
- Ooh, some standard ceiling roses, easy to have a look? No, they all look good.
- Access to loft? Just about do-able. Poke head up. Looks neat and tidy, no evidence of vermin or joint boxes. Can't see everything though. Hmm.

Alright, I know how this works - break the circuit down. Where's easiest/best guess for roughly the middle? Yeah, probably the landing light. Well, I guess, since I'm meant to be replacing it anyway...

Dear lord. Apparently, the person who replaced the original ceiling rose didn't have any connector blocks. But they did manage to extract the uninsulated terminals from the old ceiling rose, and wrap them with (now very brittle) insulation tape. Rip it all out. 707MΩ. That'll do.

Same thing on the bathroom light, though wasn't contributing to the fault.

Thing is... not sure what I would do different next time.

Was part of a bigger job so the lost time could be absorbed. I really enjoy fault-finding, don't get me wrong. But when you're only doing a small job, doing the proper tests and revealing demons that you need to sort out can add a lot of time, relatively - I just feel a bit awkward, as I sometimes wonder if the client thinks I'm taking them for a ride. I guess building up the trust is the way to go.

Apologies for the Friday brain dump. Anyway - all sorted. :)

i'd guess that his tester might see a low IR and then refuse to apply the normal 250V or 500V. just guessing.

Yeah, pretty much what telectrix said, sorry for the confusion, Pete. The tester displays the voltage it's applying while doing the test. If it doesn't ramp up to 250V or 500V, then it's a sign there's a low resistance.

Yeah, pretty much what telectrix said, sorry for the confusion, Pete. The tester displays the voltage it's applying while doing the test. If it doesn't ramp up to 250V or 500V, then it's a sign there's a low resistance.
Right Ta

the tester is current limited to about 1mA so if there is a poor IR, the voltage drops. Good modern IR testers also display the terminal voltages, great for testing surge limiters...

Reply to Tests before alterations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net