Discuss Thanks a bunch DNO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nickblake

Got a call to day customers property thats let with no power , get there to find a BG notice of potenially dangerouse situation L E reverse , consumer unit disconnected by BG tails left tapped up so property had no electricity , now you can imagin what my customer thought !!! didnt do my job properly ,, no not the case the property is let to students and was inspected in august last year so i know it was ok it wasnt till i spoke to the students in the house that i found out what had happened , the power went off on wednesday night , yes i know its now friday so good responce BG , the BG engineer came in plugged a socket tester into several sockets and got L E reverse , then took the cover off the CDU and tested with a volt stick found the neutral bar live , then said the meter was faulty changed it put in a switch and walked out issuing a danger notification , didnt reconnect the tails or retest just walked away luckly i had tails on the van so i replaced them as the original ones were no longer long enough testing Ze and Zs and the so called faulty sockets to find quite satisfactory readings and no reverse polarity at all , plug in tester and a volt stick i ask you , well all i can say socket tester and volt stick lol , very good well done for looking after your world , did explain to the customer that the meter could have potentially be the cause of the fault and using incorrect test equipment also didnt help !!

It was more than likely a neutral fault, missing upstream of the D.B. this would show neutral block as live especially with volt stick and some brands of plug in socket checkers can't distinguish between L/N reversed and N fault

British Gas aren't a DNO, they're an energy supplier and you don't need much in the way of quals to be a meter fitter

Got a call to day customers property thats let with no power , get there to find a BG notice of potenially dangerouse situation L E reverse , consumer unit disconnected by BG tails left tapped up so property had no electricity , now you can imagin what my customer thought !!! didnt do my job properly ,, no not the case the property is let to students and was inspected in august last year so i know it was ok it wasnt till i spoke to the students in the house that i found out what had happened , the power went off on wednesday night , yes i know its now friday so good responce BG , the BG engineer came in plugged a socket tester into several sockets and got L E reverse , then took the cover off the CDU and tested with a volt stick found the neutral bar live , then said the meter was faulty changed it put in a switch and walked out issuing a danger notification , didnt reconnect the tails or retest just walked away luckly i had tails on the van so i replaced them as the original ones were no longer long enough testing Ze and Zs and the so called faulty sockets to find quite satisfactory readings and no reverse polarity at all , plug in tester and a volt stick i ask you , well all i can say socket tester and volt stick lol , very good well done for looking after your world , did explain to the customer that the meter could have potentially be the cause of the fault and using incorrect test equipment also didnt help !!

they dont know what they are doing ive got my own story about them t*ssas

I have several clients who've had BG [ahem] engineers waving their voltsticks around their dhwc cupboards and proclaiming the pipework live! Seems that they are picking up the 240V at the sat or immersion. Pr@ts of the highest order.

Reply to Thanks a bunch DNO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock