Discuss The Burka - To ban or not to ban? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

upload_2016-9-13_14-12-48.jpeg
my cats inbred

I think it needs to be banned, mainly for security reasons but also because I think it would actually promote integration and to echo a previous statement, im fed up of hearing about it now. just ban it and move on

I'm in the middle on this, where ever it is banned to cover your face ie petrol stations, banks then they shouldn't be allowed to wear them. I think as soon as we start giving people special treatment then we are segregating them from everyone else. But let them wear what they want anywhere else.

Working class women (even up to the seventies here in Wales) very often wore headscarves as a type of uniform
It was in effect a statement of belonging

If the Hijab was a universal item that the believers in sky fairies were required to wear by their fellow fantasists there may be justification for society to supply a reason for any banning order,

No religion requires a believer to do so,therefore it needs to be banned for all of the security and cultural problems that have been mentioned earlier

If I had my way,all these religious fools (which ever sky fairy they believe in) would only be permitted to practice and display their nonsense out of sight of society and in their own homes

....wiw, i'd ban them, if only from a security standpoint.
My opinion is they should be banned on security grounds......

By the same token you'd also advocate banning sunglasses, large floppy hats, nun's cornetts, hoodies, umbrellas and snorkel parkas?

The way i see it is that if you are going to live in another country, you should integrate yourself in to that country's way of life and customs. That's why there is so many problems. Everyone trying to live as if they are still in there own country. It's not just in the UK. My wife's grandfather has lived in Spain for about 15 years and knows about half a dozen words of Spanish.
Not sure why you'd want everyone in the UK to look and behave according to one rigid set of customs. It would be a pretty boring place.

I'm dead against the banning of burkas purely because I hate the idea of the state being able to legislate the micromanagement of peoples lives.

Surely by legally dictating how people can and can't dress you're basically stooping to the depths of doing exactly what ISIS extremists are doing. Sure, I get it if you just dislike Muslims and want to ban burkas to show them the middle finger and ---- a few of them off but I think anyone who seriously thinks it's going to have any effect other than that is seriously mistaken.

Last edited:
Like I said. To force people NOT to wear them is as bad as a country forcing them to wear them.

Being free to do what you please is the way we'd love it, within reason.

It comes down to them all looking the same and the safety issues involved.
Covered up with a burka it is impossible to identify the person correctly as they all look the same. So how do you identify anyone who commits a crime?
Driving is worse if it slips they are blind and again how do you identify the driver ?
A number of people have escaped the country dressed in burkas mainly men.

Whilst I dont believe we should have laws to "ban the burka" I do believe in public places and whilst driving etc no face mask/cover should be worn. Then it becomes complicated what about the balaclava on a cold day???

Driving is worse if it slips they are blind and again how do you identify the driver ?

Whilst I dont believe we should have laws to "ban the burka" I do believe in public places and whilst driving etc no face mask/cover should be worn. Then it becomes complicated what about the balaclava on a cold day??
Got an answer for that. We could just follow Saudi Arabis lead, and ban women from driving! :)

It comes down to them all looking the same and the safety issues involved.
Covered up with a burka it is impossible to identify the person correctly as they all look the same. So how do you identify anyone who commits a crime?

Whilst I dont believe we should have laws to "ban the burka" I do believe in public places and whilst driving etc no face mask/cover should be worn. Then it becomes complicated what about the balaclava on a cold day???
Are you being serious? You think they should be banned because they might slip whilst someone is driving? Is this a phenomenon that's been unearthed through research? Sometimes I can't tell if people are being serious or not so apologies if it was meant to be humorous.

As for identifying people who commit crimes....yeah god forbid the police actually have to leave their cctv control room and actually go do some police work. If being able to identify people is a valid reason for banning burkas then the next laws to be steamrollered through in the name of anti-terrorism will be dictating the maximum hair and fringe length and outlawing of umbrellas in metro areas.

This isn't aimed at you Mykey. I can't help thinking that a lot of the reasons that people trot out in favour of banning the burka are merely a smoke screen for just being frustrated and wanting to stick it to Muslims. Fair enough, if you feel that way then c'est la vie as the burka-banning French say but then at least be honest about your motivation rather than bogging down a debate over laws that would likely be the start of a slippery slope that will come back and bite your own freedom of expression not too far in the future.

it's not just that, marvo, some of our customs ( e.g. girls wearing miniskirts ) have been said by muslims to be offensive. to counter that, women dressed as black pillar boxes can be offensive to us. the problem is that in a give and take tolerant society such as ours, with muslims, it's all take and no give. some of their customs, such as halal slaughter of animals and female genital mutilation are extremely offensive to me. if i speak out, then i am branded a racist.

I don't know but it might be a British cultural thing, think we like to see someone's eyes when talking to them. Told by parents to look at them when talking to or by, remove my sunglasses when talking to some and hate it when you see people wearing them being interviewed on tv etc.

Identity of suspects is difficult without eye lines, whether by police or witnesses, passport photo requirements are strict regarding visible eyes.

Perhaps is a British thing?

By the same token you'd also advocate banning sunglasses, large floppy hats, nun's cornetts, hoodies, umbrellas

Not at all because I can walk into a petrol station with sunglasses on or a bank without the chance of getting shot by an armed response unit ( might be over the top ) but my point was probably more in line with double standards rather than with security. Why should they be allowed to walk into a bank with only their eyes on show and their entire bodies covered which could quite easily be hiding a weapon to Rob the Bank but yet If I was to be stood in the very same bank let's say in the queue next to her with a Bikers helmet on I would be immediately challenged.

Reply to Marvo's comments
I am deadly serious.
I have lots of muslim friends who have intergrated into society most of the women who are my friends wear the headscarf (hijab) or one of its varients.

I was working in Bradford west yorkshire and whilst waiting at a pelican crossing to go green a young asian girl (maybe 3 yrs old) came running up and would have certainly been hit by traffic if I had not grabbed her. A woman who aproached wearing a burka then took control of the child without even looking at me or saying anything I suspect she was scared.

quote from Marvo "As for identifying people who commit crimes....yeah god forbid the police actually have to leave their cctv control room and actually go do some police work. If being able to identify people is a valid reason for banning burkas then the next laws to be steamrollered through in the name of anti-terrorism will be dictating the maximum hair and fringe length and outlawing of umbrellas in metro areas.
" Think this was answered in the original post will quote it "
Whilst I dont believe we should have laws to "ban the burka" I do believe in public places and whilst driving etc no face mask/cover should be worn. Then it becomes complicated what about the balaclava on a cold day???"

Your last paragraph you say was not aimed at me but reading it I feel it is and I would like to say I SAY WHAT I FEEL I DONT WANT TO STICK IT TO MUSLIMS OR ANY OTHER RACE OR CREED.

To be fair to ISIS, not a single bomber so far has worn a burka have they lol?

And the guy on the beach with the guns hat shorts and a t-shirt on and not even any sun glasses (wants to watch that UV in the eye issue). Probably didn't have sun tan lotion on either.

To be fair to ISIS, not a single bomber so far has worn a burka have they lol?

And the guy on the beach with the guns hat shorts and a t-shirt on and not even any sun glasses (wants to watch that UV in the eye issue). Probably didn't have sun tan lotion on either.

:rolleyes: The clue is in the GUY :D

Reply to The Burka - To ban or not to ban? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net