Discuss The Evolution of the Socket Outlet - New Biz Opportunity? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave Buchan

Hi Guys,

Just read an interesting article from the GSM group, it says all the big mobile phone players have all opted for a standard usb connection for all their phones by 2012. My electrika update CD arrived in the post today and one of the new products highlighted in the mag was a single socket outlet with a built in usb charger.

I can definitely see these things becoming popular especially if you're stopping over somewhere. The new generation is certainly in love with gadgets but we all need somewhere to plug them in and charge them..!!!.

It will be interesting to see if you can stick a usb hub into the socket and piggy back two or three devices, eliminating the need for their relevant 220v chargers.

If your work scope covers hoteliers, B&B's, HMO's, new build or social housing,

full_1001.jpg

I think I'd be keeping a watchful eye on this product as I can certainly see it taking off.

This is where you come in of course, because the customer will naturally need a competent person to install it!

we installed 3 of these last week into an in home study, the guy wanted it so when his laptop was all connected up to printers and things he could still charge his phone ipod etc. they do seem quite expensive though!

I put similar to this in a home office a few months ago. I ended up removing them as the get so hot that the wall started to discolour above the point from the heat being emitted. Hopefully they've been improved.

I was thinking of getting a couple of these myself to try as it's an absolute nightmare trying to get the phone plugged into a socket in the morning with all of Mrs B's hair itenary. The best I've seen price I've seen them at the mo is £12.73, but judging from you've said widdler, I might hold back until there has been a bit more feedback on them.

Hi Guys,

Just read an interesting article from the GSM group, it says all the big mobile phone players have all opted for a standard usb connection for all their phones by 2012.

Not so much that the big mobile phone players opted for it the EU told them they had to. Also in future a charger will be an optional extra with new phones as part of the GREEN future as most people have numerous chargers of the same type that are not used

These have been about for a while. You can also get the pop up worktop sockets with USB's as well. The latest innovation i have heard of is the new yet to be launched Smart Socket. These can be retro fitted to existing back boxes. They monitor the current flow, and if its below a certain level of a few milliamps it works out that you have left the telly or whatever on standby, and after a certain time it turns itself off.

Hi Guys,

Just read an interesting article from the GSM group, it says all the big mobile phone players have all opted for a standard usb connection for all their phones by 2012. My electrika update CD arrived in the post today and one of the new products highlighted in the mag was a single socket outlet with a built in usb charger.

I can definitely see these things becoming popular especially if you're stopping over somewhere. The new generation is certainly in love with gadgets but we all need somewhere to plug them in and charge them..!!!.

It will be interesting to see if you can stick a usb hub into the socket and piggy back two or three devices, eliminating the need for their relevant 220v chargers.

If your work scope covers hoteliers, B&B's, HMO's, new build or social housing,

View attachment 3080

I think I'd be keeping a watchful eye on this product as I can certainly see it taking off.

This is where you come in of course, because the customer will naturally need a competent person to install it!

And of course the more we buy, the cheaper they will become, a bit like the RCBO scenario a couple of years ago.

Reply to The Evolution of the Socket Outlet - New Biz Opportunity? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock