Discuss The future of Part P in question? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

What I can't stand about Part P is the fact that you have to pay for it every god damn year it's basically a schemes way to rip you off .It should be the same as the 17th edition were you have to update every time new regulations are released

Part Pee just feeds the freeloaders, those who want to regulate and carry out unproductive work.

As far as it goes with building control they don't have the time or money to go around chasing after people who ain't part of the Part Pee system. But what I have heard and do know is some building control departments are happy for an electrician with the 17th edition and 2391 to put a cert on the work.

The 17th edition is just a course to prove someone can reference a book, written exams such as the old 2360/1/2 and the 2391 and the practical AM1 an AM2 do carry a lot more clout imo.

Not knocking anyone because Ive worked with plenty of decent sparks over the years who had never passed an electrical exam etc.

At the end of the day the domestic game is almost shot, all then big players such as British Gas are flooding the market with home care packages. They have almost took the Domestic Heating Market by storm and don't forget British Gas own Gas Safe and have all the data knowing what properties require what works.

Ive also been told British Gas have also been involved in decent homes work as well.

The bigger picture involves Government and they have basically sold people a dream with this Part Pee, the same as the HIPS Pack, all those people who spent ££££'s doing the courses and now they are out of work.

The whole lot is a con, get qualified and work for an agency or a big company because that's where its all heading.

That's my honest opinion on things.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Part Pee just feeds the freeloaders, those who want to regulate and carry out unproductive work.

As far as it goes with building control they don't have the time or money to go around chasing after people who ain't part of the Part Pee system. But what I have heard and do know is some building control departments are happy for an electrician with the 17th edition and 2391 to put a cert on the work.

The 17th edition is just a course to prove someone can reference a book, written exams such as the old 2360/1/2 and the 2391 and the practical AM1 an AM2 do carry a lot more clout imo.

Not knocking anyone because Ive worked with plenty of decent sparks over the years who had never passed an electrical exam etc.

At the end of the day the domestic game is almost shot, all then big players such as British Gas are flooding the market with home care packages. They have almost took the Domestic Heating Market by storm and don't forget British Gas own Gas Safe and have all the data knowing what properties require what works.

Ive also been told British Gas have also been involved in decent homes work as well.

The bigger picture involves Government and they have basically sold people a dream with this Part Pee, the same as the HIPS Pack, all those people who spent ££££'s doing the courses and now they are out of work.

The whole lot is a con, get qualified and work for an agency or a big company because that's where its all heading.

That's my honest opinion on things.

Tony

Yes but the 17th Edition Course is about What you Can & Can't do in Installation requirements and in essence is no different from applying for Part P why should we have to pay 500+ Quid every year just for someone to come out and tell us that our work is OK as far as I know the 2391 Qual shows that someone is Competent enough to inspect/Test and rectify work in Domestic installations and the fact that it only has a 40% Pass rate nation wide should prove an electricians Competancy to provide/inspect and test a Domestic installation.

as far as I know the 2391 Qual shows that someone is Competent enough to inspect/Test and rectify work in Domestic installations and the fact that it only has a 40% Pass rate nation wide should prove an electricians Competancy to provide/inspect and test a Domestic installation.

This was one of the primary reasons we have so far decided to steer clear of domestic work. It is my argument too that passing 2391 strictly puts you above the likely skill level of an inspector from Building Control in any case, although one would presume that scheme assessors have, at least, passed 2391 themselves anyway.

The point of a Part P scheme, to me, would be to alleviate the need to carry a qualification like 2391 oneself. In this way the end user would be assured that the scheme member is working to those standards, whilst not necessarily holding a qualification showing direct knowledge of that level of skill - an independent verification, if you will, that the skills are there, albeit the qualification isn't.

It's all a big gooey mess, to be honest, and it just serves to set me off on the role of "approved schemes" versus what most of them actually do.

The point of a Part P scheme, to me, would be to alleviate the need to carry a qualification like 2391 oneself. In this way the end user would be assured that the scheme member is working to those standards, whilst not necessarily holding a qualification showing direct knowledge of that level of skill - an independent verification, if you will, that the skills are there, albeit the qualification isn't.

I agree but having seen and read descriptions of the technical assessments from all of the scheme providers, I think you'd have to have a lethal installation before you'd fail!

Imagine if your driving examiner had already been paid £500 by you before your test with the promise of a further annual payment of £500 !

Oh and an extra £300 a year if you take the 'three-point turn' package as an extra (think PIR).

I think you'd have to have a lethal installation before you'd fail!

).

You are being more stringent with the entry criteria than the schemes IQ :eek:

A lethal installation wouldn't be a stumbling block when a regular couple of hundred quid and a new member to up the total is the choice :)

On a serious note
Has anybody ever heard of anyone who has been turned down by any scheme ?
It would be interesting to know the scores,because I haven't

You are being more stringent with the entry criteria than the schemes IQ :eek:

A lethal installation wouldn't be a stumbling block when a regular couple of hundred quid and a new member to up the total is the choice :)

On a serious note
Has anybody ever heard of anyone who has been turned down by any scheme ?
It would be interesting to know the scores,because I haven't

From the Part P Monitoring Report http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/734995.pdf :

Most scheme operators provide the contractor with written notice of any
non-conformities and require that they are resolved within a certain time
period, eg 45 days (depending on their severity). In the case of a major nonconformity,
this is likely to require the inspector to revisit the site, which
usually incurs additional costs. If the contractor fails to rectify the defect their
registration may be suspended and they could be locked out of the
notification system until the matter is resolved. In extreme cases of failure and
where subsequent rectification action has not been followed, then the​
registered installer can be removed from the scheme.

I wonder what constitutes 'a major non-conformity'?

Reply to The future of Part P in question? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net