Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss The testing required before cu change in the Electrical Forum area at

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. MrsS

    MrsS Guest

    I’m about to change an CU with rewireable fuses to one with RCBOs, the reasoning behind this is, only a small CU will fit the space and the property only has 4 circuits
    5amp Upstairs Lights
    5amp Downstairs Lights
    30amp Sockets
    30amp Cooker
    If I use MCB all circuits are protected by an RCD, therefore all circuits would be interrupted under fault conditions; an RCBO ensures that only the circuit with the fault is interrupted.
    I plan to test the installation before removing the old CU and because I will be fitting RCBOs I want to avoid any problems with N-E.
    Now I’ll get to the point (typically of a woman to go all around the houses)
    Tests are:
    Ze and Psc tests
    Continuity of protective conductors test ( R1 & R2 test at the furthest of the 2xlight circuit and the cooker circuit, adding it to Ze to get Zs). But how does this test check neutral
    Then the end to end testing on the sockets circuit
    Followed by the cross over test, I know the reading at each socket should be (R1+Rn)/4 or (R1+R2)/4 (spurs higher)
    Then Insulation resistance test on all circuit.
    Then Zs test of all circuits
    Is there anything else I should do or lookout for to avoid problems with the RCBOs
    By the way, Which RCBOs are the best to use.
    Feedback Welcome
    Many Thanks
  2. widdler

    widdler Trusted Advisor

    North East
    The R1&R2 test is for continuity of protective conductors and so neutral isn't included, you could however carry out a test to neutral to assist in polarity check.

    I often prefer MK RCBO's

    Often when I introduce RCDs to an existing installation I will carry out a continuity test between neutral and cpc, to see if any leakage is already existing.
    Another thing i do is carry around with me a plug in RCD unit, which I will try out on any suspect old appliances prior to installation. It isn't guaranteed to pick out problem appliances (RCDs have different sensitivity) but it does Ilustrate to the clients your concern prior to installation.
  3. MrsS

    MrsS Guest

    Many Thanks

    [The R1&R2 test is for continuity of protective conductors and so neutral isn't included, you could however carry out a test to neutral to assist in polarity check.]

    To complete this test, would I link neutral to cpc at CU just like R1&R2, and what reading should I expect?
    Just look up the plug in RCD units, does it indicate if a electrical appliance is faulty.

  4. ezzzekiel

    ezzzekiel Guest

    would a split load consumer unit not suit your purpose?
    assuming by post you are new - if so life would be made much easier and cheaper this way.

    dont go overboard on initial testing,
    ring continuity
    basic ir test
  5. Amp David

    Amp David Trusted Advisor

    Your readings will all depend on your circuit length and if you have spurs or not.:rolleyes:

    Soulnds like another diyer taking work of the good old sparky again:mad:
  6. ezzzekiel

    ezzzekiel Guest

    seems a little well informed for a diyer - im thinking new partp or trainee
  7. MrsS

    MrsS Guest

    Thank you Widdler and Ezzzekiel for the advice
    Looked at split load consumer unit first but can’t find one that would fit the space I’ve got to work with, which is measured at
    W- 250, D - 120mm & H - 260mm
    I am new to the forum, and qualified in June NOT A DIYER TAKING WORK OFF THE GOOD OLD SPARKY AGAIN as Amp David suggested.
    Just look for some advice like anyone else.
  8. Amp David

    Amp David Trusted Advisor

    Feel for the customer:eek:
  9. widdler

    widdler Trusted Advisor

    North East
    The plug in tester should work like a normal RCD and hopefully trip if an individual appliance was giving off sufficient leakage to cause problems upon completion. Suspect appliances can be old fridges, washing machines or PC's etc. This won't account for the quantiy of appliances though, which may when all in operation, build up an amount of leakage sufficient to also trip the RCBO anyway.

    As for the neutral, yes you could connect it to CPC at the board. Assuming that you have T&CPC cabling, you could play around with the data to verify readings for comparison. (R1&Rn)/2= R1 or Rn. Therefore R1&R2 should equal (R1x1.67)+R1. Then you will have the figures for R1, Rn & R2.

    This is all unnecessary though for current requirements, and so I'm sure others here are probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about.
  10. davelerave

    davelerave Guest

    amazing really the simple things

    customer can see it for himself -before you changeover to 30mA protection

    and have to explain it :(

    err you need to order a skip for all your equipment that worked before i started:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  11. MrsS

    MrsS Guest

    Got to get myself a plug in RCD tester, always handy to help sort out faults.
    I’ll give the neutral test ago. Many Thanks
  12. pushrod

    pushrod Electrician's Arms

    Separate all your neutrals and IR test (or you could continuity test) between them - (there are 6 different combinations with 4 circuits) If you get a zero on any of them chances are you have a shared neutral and potential problems with your RCBOs. If you do have this problem then at least with a split board, although not ideal, you have the opportunity to put the offending circuits on the same rcd and save taking up floorboards/chopping out walls etc.
    Of course do the other tests as well to check for other problems. Good luck :)
  13. MrsS

    MrsS Guest

    Many Thanks Guys, you’ve all give me lots of good advice .
  14. brucelee

    brucelee Trusted Advisor

    hi mrs s
    to do the continuity of protective conductors
    1 link line and cpc at db test between line and cpc at all relevent points if its a lighting circuit test at the ceiling rose between sw/line and cpc record highest as R1+R2 value for the circuit operate switches to confirm polarity whilst carrying out the test
    2 if you want to you can also measure L- N by linking line and neutral at DB the tesing at all relevent points between line and neutral this result not recorded and value will be substantially the same if same size conductors are used ie 1mm T/E the line , neutral and cpc will give same results as they have same csa
    if 1.5mm T/E used then the line to cpc will be higher than the line to neutral as cpc has a smaller csa
    use this test for line to neutral (R1 + RN) when testing radial socket outlets to confirm polarity
  15. WayneL

    WayneL Guest

Similar Threads - testing required before Forum Date
Experienced Electrical and Gas testing person required for new business New Member Introductions Mar 10, 2017
Consumer unit change testing required? Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification Oct 28, 2016
Minor Works testing advice Electrical Forum Jul 12, 2017
Multimeter testing - help DIY Electrical Forum Jul 9, 2017
Hiring for Electrical testing engineers in Essex, London, Cambridge and Reading Electricians Looking for Work / Jobs Jul 7, 2017
city & guilds testing and inspecting 2394/5 exam Electrical Forum Jun 29, 2017

Share This Page

  • Electricians Directory Post a Domestic Job Post a Commercial Job