Discuss The use of RCD FCU's? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

Just after your thoughts really and do many of you use them alot as a cheaper option for the customer to comply with the 17th regs.

I've seen a number of them used on lighting and power circuits, Also used when installing an extractor fan.

If these are used then you will only be making the addition comply to the regs, Obviously before the FCU it wont have RCD protection.
Some sparks i speak to say once you make any additions or alterations to a circuit you are taking responsibility for the whole circuit, So they wouldnt use these RCD FCU's as they wont comply if this was the case.

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/sfd/i/cat/58/p3131858_l.jpg​

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were to add a extractor fan to a lighting circuit, then a Minor Works Cert only requires test information for the additions / alterations you have made. Not for the other existing items not directly related to the works for are doing.

This is a 'grey' area within the regs - there is no requirement to test anything else on that circuit that you haven't touched. It is left to professional judgement to make that call. As long as what you have added / altered meets with current regs, that's all you need worry about for a MWC.

Found this photo on the net of an RCD FCU fitted for the addition of a bathroom extractor fan. Looks like a good idea to me.

g3_LR_bathroom_1_p05.jpg
g3_LR_bathroom_1_p06.jpg

The Picture looks ok but the cable on the incomming side of the rcd fused spur also needs protected if you have extended it to get you power

Reply to The use of RCD FCU's? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net