Discuss Theft from van in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sympathies fella, I hope that the pikey (and before anyone tries giving me all the PC b*******, F*** off I ain't interested) who done it dies in a nasty fireball. I know that its a long shot, considering that the whole of Purley is one big Pikey site, but it may really be worth having a nose around some of the pubs in the area. Chances are that the scrotes who done it will be trying to flog your gear within a mile of that Tesco. You could also ask around in these pubs about the most likely suspects. It may just pay off. Good luck fella.

Nah - you're in good company here mate. Political correctness needs to die a death in a nasty fireball too.

It is, sadly, unlikely he will find his kit now - it'll have been long converted into a rock or two of crack, or a baggie of some other junk.

Real life exchange rate - typical cordless drill in box = one £20 quid deal tops - cash often isn't even on offer at all now.

Whether we like it or not, most of these theft/drug networks are far better organised than any official organisation ever will be.

They can also move any item (yes, any) quicker than most of us can empty the main vein.

Latest stats from Met intelligence (yes, I know, a contradiction :D) - from 2008, from theft to fence for small "portable" items is on average around 4 hours tops. Vehicles stolen to order, from theft (using keys) to vanish - around 24 hours tops on average. For vehicles that includes shipping container, dismantling, ringing, resale elsewhere, and crushing for metal value.

Scary, and senior Met admit there's naff all they can realistically do about it.

Nah - you're in good company here mate. Political correctness needs to die a death in a nasty fireball too.

It is, sadly, unlikely he will find his kit now - it'll have been long converted into a rock or two of crack, or a baggie of some other junk.

Real life exchange rate - typical cordless drill in box = one £20 quid deal tops - cash often isn't even on offer at all now.

Whether we like it or not, most of these theft/drug networks are far better organised than any official organisation ever will be.

They can also move any item (yes, any) quicker than most of us can empty the main vein.

Latest stats from Met intelligence (yes, I know, a contradiction :D) - from 2008, from theft to fence for small "portable" items is on average around 4 hours tops. Vehicles stolen to order, from theft (using keys) to vanish - around 24 hours tops on average. For vehicles that includes shipping container, dismantling, ringing, resale elsewhere, and crushing for metal value.

Scary, and senior Met admit there's naff all they can realistically do about it.
Unfortunately mate I know purley, and I know that the chances are its a couple of Pikeys who've gotten lucky... However if it is a couple of crack/smack/glue/whatever heads then if he does some recon work then he might strike lucky. As there is only a few around there that they'd be able to flog em in.

Unfortunately mate I know purley, and I know that the chances are its a couple of Pikeys who've gotten lucky... However if it is a couple of crack/smack/glue/whatever heads then if he does some recon work then he might strike lucky. As there is only a few around there that they'd be able to flog em in.

True - Purley doesn't change much - and odds are it was low level druggies looking for an easy score.

Unlikely sadly, that the cops will even bother beyond issuing the CRN.

yep I should know I lived there for 20 years!!
one house in our road was burgled 7 times in 2 years, they even stole his beehives!really its like any town good bits bad bits, theres a very rich bit as well which does attract the criminal element. plus its surrounded by pikey camps, woodmansterne, merstham, smallfields, all on / near the a23 .
I reckon it was a load of have it away day merchants, have van will travel and they could do a lot of towns in one day
i moved out 20years ago and only go back if I have too, cant be bothered to trawl around the pitiful shacks they pass off for pubs . been there done that !

Unfortunately it's always been a weak spot on the connects the wiring looms, remember hearing about it a few years back I may invest in a set of those guards seen them before but haven't had the privilege of being done yet. Sorry to hear about your loses. It's got all the hallmarks of pikey you can imagine them now sat in those ridiculous transits with half of Halfords chrome accessories range adorning the thing and a hazard light and a tow hook with two guys with hair stiles that went out of fashion about 15 years ago in the front seats. They almost have a dress code these days. Hate them

LOL about the haircuts!! you can spot em a mile off. To quote smokey 'I second that emotion' they are the lowest of the low.I worked for Bt on the tools for 20 odd years in an area surrounded by pikey sites and they caused us untold grief.
had to laugh a few years ago when my neighbour had pikeys in to do his drive, they turned up in their finest hi vis, amber beacons blazing, and that was just to quote for the job. muppets.

sorry to hear that mate. is there anyway of getting the local plod down for the videos of the cctv in the car park? just a thought that they might be able to get a reg plate if they turned up in a car or something

most tesco car parks run a cctv scheme that captures your car and reg plate coming in and going out for their car park management,might be worth speaking to the manager..

Unfortunately it's always been a weak spot on the connects the wiring looms, remember hearing about it a few years back I may invest in a set of those guards seen them before but haven't had the privilege of being done yet. just bought the full set from www.van locked.co.uk £90 inc delivery., ordered last night, arrived today, mechanic is fitting them now while he replaces the damaged loom.

Sorry to hear about your van its one of the worst things that can happen to any tradesman. In my experience (dealing with the people who do this for a living) the best way to protect yourself is to make life as difficult as possible to prevent an "easy" snatch. Something as simple as running a chain through the handles of tool boxes to make it impossible to drag off all at once will use up valuable time for the crook and they will scarper. If this is combined with an audio alarm (the louder the better) most casual thieves will chalk it up as a loss and move on. Parking your van under street lighting or near CCTV where available would also help as a deterrent. Recording serial numbers of tools and reporting to your local Police will assist with recovery, hundreds of tools are recovered each year and can never be reunited with owners as the owners cannot be traced- The usual suspects are regularly turned over but all too often tools have to be returned as they cannot be proved as stolen.

This site is pretty good I would definitely think about logging multimeter s and expensive hand tools with it immobilise - the home of the National Property Register and Recovery Service its a national register and most forces will check it as well as their individual property system if property is recovered or checked against a known criminal

sorry about the lost of tools its just heart dropping when you open up the van door and your tools aint there and their's no sign of a break in! thats what happend to my transit aswell but they had some sort of master key and took the lot, so now opted for extra locks on all doors .

purley,my mate had his van done over there too a few weeks ago. scum bags. lads i know its painfull but if ur gona leave ur van outa site get a hasp and staple on inside if side door and put lock on from the passengers side door. then beef up rear doors with them big locks u c out there. my van is sign written, sick animal transport. hu gona rob that

Sorry to hear about you losing your tools. I've spent decades amassing my tools I'm heartbroken if I lose a single screwdriver I can't imagine the feeling if I was to lose all my tools. I think stealing a guys tools is about as low as you can get. I hope against all odds you get them back.

Wonder if my laptop went that way, stolen when I was in Vauxhall area in the 5 mins I was away from the car?
That must have been done by crack heads then! There is no way a professional tea leaf would of nicked a laptop from a car in Vauxhall; they'd be to worried that it was a Peeler 'bait car.'

Dads van got done cold chisel under door lock only took his jacket and phone. This is the best bit done on clapham high street opposite sainsberrys middle of the afternoon, there are chancers about.

Remember there is a weak spot on old shape Sprinters and Vitos ..... My old boss got done that way, his van was so messy they didn't manage to get anything lol. We came out a job once went to drive off heard a scrapping sound got out and found the spare tire cage dragging along the floor behind us bloody staines!

Reply to Theft from van in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net