Discuss thermostat & programmer wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

drewjak

12 months a go I had a boiler replacement, I had an old ideal isar HE24 removed due to failure and an ideal mini 30 as a replacement.
my old He24 boiler had a danfoss ts715-si programmer and a Honeywell r6660d wireless room stat .

ever since the new boiler was fitted the engineer fitted it with a normal timer on the front of the boiler because he said the controls mentioned above would not work with the new boiler and are useless.

I could be wrong here but as these 2 boiler are both made by ideal would they not work in the same way ? with the control units ? or was the engineer not confident at knowing how to wire it up ?

I have looked inside the boiler where the wires enter and there is 1 wire not connected which is a white wire in the main cable entering the boiler (which I presume is the switching wire for room stat /timer connection shown in the photo which is currently bridged with a red wire ) but should there be another wire or does the bridged connection require moving to a bridge to the neutral ? and the white wire connecting into the empty connection to act as the switch. then I can do a way with timer on the front of the boiler.

~[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/drewjak/media/20151116_142237_zpsamu4ftdk.jpg.html][/URL

Hi drewjack, welcome to the forum, I have approved your thread for the general forum for a faster response, admin' may give you DIY status when they are next on line and the thread may be relocated to the DIY section.

Ok, sorry I never noticed the DIY section, and also forgot to say HI All

Ok, sorry I never noticed the DIY section, and also forgot to say HI All
You posted in the correct section for the subject but as you are not electricially experienced we sometimes decide to give you access to the DIY section and relocate the thread - no need to apologise as this section isn't viewable until we give you access so you haven't missed it as such... Admin' will decide if to relocate the thread or to just give you a DIY tag, this will depend on whether you're just asking out of curiousity or you actually plan on attempting to do this yourself.
Hopefully when everyone has finished work and had their tea you may get some feedback :)

Last edited:
Hi drewjak,

You should be able to utilise your existing programmer and wireless room stat with your new boiler,

Obviously you will need to get an electrician to confirm this but it does seem that the white core in the pictures is the return from external controls. I say this as there was external controls before and this looks like the usual arrangement.

As I said though you will need to get an electrician in. And while he's there, get him to clamp the flex correctly.

Thanks Andyb, the flex was and is once again clamped, I had removed it my self while looking at the wires, I appreciate what your saying about getting an electrician , but I'm sure you will agree that having to pay them probably excess of ÂŁ50 to come round and swap a couple of cables over doesn't make much sense if some one on here will be greatful enough to tell me how to do it if they know.

Reply to thermostat & programmer wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net