Discuss These Jobs Suitable For NIC Inspection? (First One) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nlbhoy

I have my NIC inspection on the 9th of March. Most of my work has been out of my area but I've had
a small site since November 15mins away which I had planned to take assessor to. Problem is the site has run quite a bit over due to roofing issues etc.

I will have two of the plots 2nd fixed this week, ready for testing beginning of next week, only thing is none of the showers will have been fitted or outside lights (client not decided).

Would you take assessor here or would I get pulled for testing etc without everything being fitted?

I'm really trying to pass this first time so I'd hate to get pulled for something stupid like this.

Thanks in advance

I tend to test as i install individual circuits. That lets the other trades go ahead. its a bit late to fix a damaged cable for example, when the wall is plastered or the laminate flooring is down.
Have you enough installed to show him a good range of your work and an example of the required tests.

I tend to test as i install individual circuits. That lets the other trades go ahead. its a bit late to fix a damaged cable for example, when the wall is plastered or the laminate flooring is down.
Have you enough installed to show him a good range of your work and an example of the required tests.
Good point.

I've done test as I've been going. No live tests though!

Everything except showers and outside lights will be fitted/tested.

They will only accept an installation that has been completed and certified, these installations do not sound as if they are ready for certification

Is it your 1st assessment, Is it for AC or DI.

Is it your 1st assessment, Is it for AC or DI.
First assessment.

It's approved contractor. They don't offer DI in Scotland.

They require 2/3 jobs to inspect on the day. I believe this is 5 jobs if your in England, not sure why
there's a difference.

First assessment.

It's approved contractor. They don't offer DI in Scotland.

They require 2/3 jobs to inspect on the day. I believe this is 5 jobs if your in England, not sure why
there's a difference.

over here they expect 5 jobs 1st assessment it needs to be ideally a variety of Domestic, commercial and Industrial if you haven't got any local jobs you can pay extra to take them further than the usual 30 minutes from point of meeting. I think it's a fair chunk though to do that.

thinking about it can't you get a couple of small jobs done ie A radial circuit in your home or office maybe swap your consumer unit, maybe a little job at a mates or family members house. To be honest on our 1st one we showed him a complete factory rewire but he still wanted to see a couple of smaller jobs one of which was a 2 socket radial, you just need to show your competent and know how to fill in the certs and that all your insurances and calibration certs are upto date.

thinking about it can't you get a couple of small jobs done ie A radial circuit in your home or office maybe swap your consumer unit, maybe a little job at a mates or family members house. To be honest on our 1st one we showed him a complete factory rewire but he still wanted to see a couple of smaller jobs one of which was a 2 socket radial, you just need to show your competent and know how to fill in the certs and that all your insurances and calibration certs are upto date.
Yeah, was thinking about doing that.

Can you use work you done in your own home?

Don't hold me to it but I think you can, remember they are judging your electrical skills not whether you get paid for the jobs. If you have any doubts then simply ring them up they will be happy to help.

Yeah, was thinking about doing that.

Can you use work you done in your own home?

as far as i know, yes, but check with niceic first. they call the shots, not forum members.

I'm in Scotland as well I have my 1st assessment at the end of the month, I'm using board change at my house as 1 job, I have asked and this is fine, they know this is my 'office' as well and are fine with it, I've got a job literally next door to show as well and another about 20 mins away, should be an easy enough day!

Does anyone know how stringent they are on safe isolation, I know if it is a job where other people are working you would want to isolate and lock off, but I generally don't if I am working on an empty house, ie my own and I know there is no one around to turn anything back on? The lady on the phone when I set up with them said just do things as you would normally do it, and that is how I would normally work.

On our 1st assessment yes they wanted safe isolation performing, but on the 2nd year they were happy just to see the kit.

I have taken NICEIC to a job that was not finished they take a note of the certificate number that you have started for that job & when you have completed you can send it over for them to view full cert with the build control registration.
it is work in progress & the circuits that are live have been tested & are ready for use, I would say one thing make sure you have the circuits that are not finished disconnected from the board & safely terminated in the board.
If you leave the circuits live with anything other than a fixed Junction box or other suitable enclosure depending on the IP rating & location they will fail you straight away. do not use connectors blocks & tape & leave live in other words.
don't forget that you have so many days to register a job.
I have even taken them to a first fix before & more than happy mind you was a 6 bedroom house, at that point assessor had a good look around & saw an install other than second fix next job was fully ready & we started testing at that job.

"If you leave the circuits live with anything other than a fixed Junction box or other suitable enclosure depending on the IP rating & location they will fail you straight away. do not use connectors blocks & tape & leave live in other words" Uhhh?? Who the hell is going to do that anywhere never mind on on assessment??? If you have half a clue what you are doing and have paid the fee relax you will be fine.

Reply to These Jobs Suitable For NIC Inspection? (First One) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net