Discuss Thieving numb sculls in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

yep, kicking myself now as I even know about the tib (?) locks and how easy they are to pick.
seriously anyone reading this thread, make time to secure your van. because it's a lot cheaper to do it before rather than after you've been done.

its not a restricted area but i wouldn't be surprised if it was another cotractor. when the shows are being built up theirs 100's of blokes about.

I would like to think we all would have the respect for our fellow work professionals. But as you said if it's not a restricted area then who knows. :mad:
What is a mft??
Festool multifunctional table?

OK
So £600 + gone I'm guessing.
If this may help you out have a look at Sussex installations on YouTube.
All about van security very good and shows you many different options.
I hope this the one and only time this will happen to you.

not quite that bad £120 for the drill and ~£350 for the tester. I had a second hand fluke 1653 but never used the phase rotation feature so going for a 1652, again second hand. also thinking of going battery sds for the convenience but I'm worried it will crap itself if it ever has to core drill a 100mm hole.

Use a good battery SDS for normal daily use & keep a cheap 110v for taking when you know your going to need it.

I got to the stage unless I knew I really needed my good gear I used Aldi and Lidl cheap gear, but was surprised how good it was.
Testers and the like I took into the premises.if it was secure , and took them out at night.
Consumables I was prepared to lose , but cherished hand gear was always well cared for and taken in at night. I never left gear lying around a site , and had a bag of shoddy crap for the ones that said can I borrow.. They seldom asked twice.

Bought an SDS from Lidl about 15 years back, after 2 Dewalt we were using on site burnt out.
Used it daily on site for ages & still have it, thing still works like a dream. Best £70.00 I've spent.
People that ask to borrow tools get a short refusal from me I'm afraid, had stuff lost or damaged in the past due to lending people tools.

I had a laptop stolen just before Christmas. It was worth maybe £100, so £50 to them at most, but it had a few thousand pounds worth of EICR's for a laboratory on it which I had to redo.

There's bankers and politicians thieving from us from the top out in the open about it, and there's scum from the bottom creeping about nicking our stuff, then there's us working hard but getting shafted from both ends. What a life!

Can I suggest to everyone it is vital to back up files for precisely this reason. Might seem like rubbing salt into the wound here....but....
A very large site I do day to day repairs at had an EICR carried out over many months by another contractor using a subbie. At the end of the job he fecked off taking the laptop with him never to be traced again. The contractor had to flood the site with sparks for a couple of weeks to do the whole lot again before the agreed finish date. Cost them a fortune.
Getting a simple backup from the subbies laptop once a week would have saved all that.
If you do EICR's on a laptop and don't back up this WILL happen to you at some point.

Excellent advice. A lot of people don't think about backups until after the event.

Good tip if your going on holiday or away with robbery ' Dont leave any spare keys or cash at home in a draw etc / get a safe . We did this thinking nothing of it and the bastards got in the house and use our van and soft top to empty the house . Got the van back but the car got smoked . Luckily it was an Alfa so not too bad lol and the tools where in the house at the time so covered with house contents & More Than where great (would recommend the all day long) so be warned.

A lot of them moved away to be honest . But with the demise of the Mines the town is full of toe rags . It is a shadow of it's former self.
The community does not exist anymore.

It was exactly the same in the village where I was living, when the local pits closed.
The shops started closing, then other small businesses & finally the school. Nowadays the place is pretty dead, doesn't have even a pub or post office anymore.

Reply to Thieving numb sculls in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock