Discuss Thoughts on the Megger MFT1711? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
what are your thoughts on the MFT1711? I'm looking to setup shortly and realise this is aimed as a kind of starter kit. Is it worth it or should I go for something with more bells and whistles like the 1731?

I'm giving it thought as I've been offered a 1711 at a respectable price?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

When I was choosing from the 17xx series, I went for the 1731 because I figured as I'm in a more rural location (as are many of my potential customers) I was more likely to encounter TT earthing arrangements as there is a lot of overhead power delivery. On that basis I elected to get an MFT that had the capability to do earth rod resistance measurements, hence the 1731.

You should also consider what type of work you're planning on doing. The 1721 and 1731 include phase rotation and the ability to test more types of RCDs. The 1731 also has rechargeable batteries which in my opinion are a godsend.

I guess it all depends on your start-up budget. I scrimped on some pieces of kit, but I bought the best MFT I could afford, and I have to say I'm not regretting that decision.

Thanks mate that's sound advice and kind of what I wanted to hear. Sounds like I should opt for the 1731

The only issue I've had with the 1700 series is a "no go" when trying to take some resistance readings. The mft picks up voltage in adjacent circuits and thinks you are trying to measure resistance on a live circuit. Never had this problem on the 1500 series.

Just sold my Fluke 1653B partly because NICEIC assessor told me they're not near as good as a Megger ! I thought they were the dogs but anyways got an o.k. price so have got a new Megger 1731 arriving any day now. Hope it's as good or better...

I bought a 1730, when I started back a few years ago. It's only been back to Megger twice to be fixed. One of the reasons I bought it, 'cos I saw an ad with some bloke chucking it out of a first floor window, and it didn't break.

I'm beginning to think, that's the one I got. :mad:

Reply to Thoughts on the Megger MFT1711? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock