Discuss Timer for a Radial Circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

RED_

Hi,

First off I apologise if there is already a topic going for this or if it is a daft question. I'm currently in the first year of my course so any help would be appreciated.

How would I go about putting a timer on a Radial circuit that has about 3 sockets on it?

Again any advice on the best way to do this would be great like.

Thanks

Do you want the supply to the sockets to be switched automatically by a timer?

Yes sorry I should have been a bit more specific. I would like it so that when it gets to a certain time, 10pm for example, the sockets would then have no power to them.

Yes sorry I should have been a bit more specific. I would like it so that when it gets to a certain time, 10pm for example, the sockets would then have no power to them.
Is there room in the CU to mount a timer? It could be done but depending on the current rating and load on the circuit you might need a contactor in conjunction with the timer which will require more space in the CU or you'd have to divert the socket circuit through a separate enclosure.

Is there room in the CU to mount a timer? It could be done but depending on the current rating and load on the circuit you might need a contactor in conjunction with the timer which will require more space in the CU or you'd have to divert the socket circuit through a separate enclosure.

There isn't a lot of room left in the CU, just enough for 1 more breaker.
On the circuit is just a television and a couple of PS4s so not a massive amount.

sounds like a project to stop the kids playing and/or watching after bedtime.

Greenbrook T205-SCR KingShield 7-Day Fused Digital Timer Spur Switch 230V | Timers & Controllers | screwflix..com

I have used these and have been pleased with them.

Greenbrook T205-SCR KingShield 7-Day Fused Digital Timer Spur Switch 230V | Timers & Controllers | screwflix..com

I have used these and have been pleased with them.

Will take a look at that, thanks!

Would this still work okay for a few sockets though as above there is a mention of a contactor? Ultimately it's to stop the kids going back on their consoles/tele when they should be in bed...

Hum why have they got tvs in their room s? And re the internet just set YOUR parental controls

Probably the same reason majority of kids have a tele in their room. They will just play it offline so internet settings don't matter. They are 13 year old boys, that fun age.

Probably the same reason majority of kids have a tele in their room. They will just play it offline so internet settings don't matter. They are 13 year old boys, that fun age.

My kids are 15 and 17 and they haven't got tv's

Who is the parent?

My kids are 15 and 17 and they haven't got tv's

Who is the parent?

Okay well that is your decision. I am the parent and I don't know if you are trying to insinuate anything but I'm not going to start arguing with you over parenting skills.

I've asked a question, a couple of people have been good enough to help me out, either you are happy to or you aren't but this isn't going to turn into a debate about parenting.

........Ultimately it's to stop the kids going back on their consoles/tele when they should be in bed...
You're looking to solve a social problem with an electrical solution, it's going to end up a lot of work especially if it won't fit in the CU and destined to failure anyway. I'd suggest sitting the kids down and telling them they'll lose all screen privileges for a week when you catch them on the X-BOX or watching television after lights out.

Okay well that is your decision. I am the parent and I don't know if you are trying to insinuate anything but I'm not going to start arguing with you over parenting skills.

I've asked a question, a couple of people have been good enough to help me out, either you are happy to or you aren't but this isn't going to turn into a debate about parenting.

So you are going to disable all the sockets in their rooms? I doubt it.

Reply to Timer for a Radial Circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock