Discuss -Tinned copper cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did a bathroom refurb' this week, where the lighting circuit I worked on had tinned copper cable, not sure if that's the correct terminology.

Kept a piece of the cable, and looking at the markings, it's a BICC cable, with markings of 'Y Type' and 'H'.

I've did some quick research, and read that these cables were tinned like the old rubber cables, to prevent reaction between the rubber & copper, manufacturers carried on the process with PVC for short time?

Cable tested out okay, but saw some unrelated 'DIY' bodges and the CU's a bit of a mess, with RCD main switch for the whole install.

I don't do EICR's, but when I do Minor Works, I was going to suggest to the customer to have one done. Any idea of age of cables?

Is the cable stranded (3 strands)?

I think tinned copper was around the 70s briefly.
Perhaps the oldies on here installed it :)

I'm gonna call you a cheeky monkey, I was around in the 70's :(. Don't recall seeing it, do remember the dreaded aluminium cables, in the mid to late 70's, along with petrol coupons for my Fizzy Mop!

I'm gonna call you a cheeky monkey, I was around in the 70's :(. Don't recall seeing it, do remember the dreaded aluminium cables, in the mid to late 70's, along with petrol coupons for my Fizzy Mop!

I was born in the 80s so have no idea about fizzy mop??
I've encountered tinned stranded cooper cables on a eicr and rang a technical helpline for guidance on the ccc of said cables and the guy said he had installed the stuff in the 70s but it wasn't around for long.
I could be wrong tho.

We have just finished a job that had all aluminium armoureds installed from the middle 60's iirc, how gutted myself and others where when we was cutting loads of it out and some where like 120's and 240's, is was a lot easier to move though.

That's a thought, they technically aren't SWA so would you refer to them as AWA?

We have just finished a job that had all aluminium armoureds installed from the middle 60's iirc, how gutted myself and others where when we was cutting loads of it out and some where like 120's and 240's, is was a lot easier to move though.

That's a thought, they technically aren't SWA so would you refer to them as AWA?
nope. AWA cable has aluminium for the armour instead of steel. this is used where it is undesirable to have magnetic field currents caused by ferrous armour.

They were around for ages - from the beginning of plastic insulation in the 1950s until metrication. Most likely late 50's to late 60's. I can't believe you've never seen PVC insulated 7/.029? Although as Pete says if this is solid core tinned copper it must be 1/.044 which is bang on 1mm². Anything larger would be stranded, or not tinned copper.

Solid tinned copper have have not seen, stranded tinned copper yes. You sure it isn't copper clad aluminium, BICC branding hints at this. Does it break easily.

nope. AWA cable has aluminium for the armour instead of steel. this is used where it is undesirable to have magnetic field currents caused by ferrous armour.

This cables in question had Ali armouring ;) and weren't used for any perticular reason like EMF issues.

Iirc DNO also like to use AWA as that's the only time I've installed in myself.

Same colour as Vorts pipebender. Not into motorcycles but that takes me back, how long you had it.

Solid tinned copper have have not seen, stranded tinned copper yes. You sure it isn't copper clad aluminium, BICC branding hints at this. Does it break easily.

Don't think it is copper clad ali.

I'll post a picture in due course - don't hold your breath, I've strict instructions to cook the tea, while her indoors is gallivanting across the county on some leaving do. :(

It would only be solid on account of being the smallest size i.e. 1/.044. Any larger and it probably wouldn't be tinned copper, but 1/.044 was definitely about, I've taken some out myself. For upmarket jobs 3/.029 was preferred precisely because it was stranded (as well as slightly bigger CSA) and I think 1/.044 had given way to it a bit by the introduction of PVC. If the core is 1.1mm dia, that's what it is. I don't think that size was used in Ali?

Same colour as Vorts pipebender. Not into motorcycles but that takes me back, how long you had it.

That's some library picture Westy. Got rid of the mop, soon as I could drive a car - can't pull women on a moped!

I do recall though, that the thing had a metal spark plug cover, first dose or rain, meant a 15 mile push/walk home :mad:

Reply to -Tinned copper cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock