Discuss Tips and Advice for certification assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Ian Holdham

Hi all,
I will be looking into getting assessed for the first time in the next few weeks, and as i have not previously obtained qualifying supervisor title to my list of credentials i am a little in the dark with it all. I have applied for the full scope certification and have experience in testing commercial and domestic premises. as i am new to this inspection could you give me some advice and tips on what will be expected of me as a principal duty holder/ qualifying manager?

Thanks

Ian

Hi all,
I will be looking into getting assessed for the first time in the next few weeks, and as i have not previously obtained qualifying supervisor title to my list of credentials i am a little in the dark with it all. I have applied for the full scope certification and have experience in testing commercial and domestic premises. as i am new to this inspection could you give me some advice and tips on what will be expected of me as a principal duty holder/ qualifying manager?

Thanks

Ian

Who have you gone with?

In joining Napit, they should send you an information pack telling you what is required, from your description you should have all the relevant paperwork and reference material available.
As you are a currently working and experienced electrician you should meet the qualification requirements as well (NVQ3 generally).

For the assessment, they will review the above requirements, inspect some installations and certificates authorised by you, and also assess your level of competence both in inspection and testing and understanding of the requirements of the building regulations and the procedures you have in place to ensure that all installation work undertaken is suitably assessed by you to ensure compliance with the wiring and building regulations.

These requirements should not be too taxing for someone already working in the industry.
Just ensure that you do have all the required documents and procedures in place and available to show on the day.

Should.have a.list of things.they want.. EAW doc part P, insurance

But for the test it's self, practice... Over and over with a.test meter you will be using and it's cert are in date
I talked while I was doing mine to explain what I was doing and thinking
I do that because I did a driving test and the guy said I didn't look in the mirror when I did, so I voice it as proof

Thanks for the advice, I have recently completed a notifiable job, CU change and new fittings and fixtures etc. I have completed a EIC for these works but cannot notify until I receive certification from napit, can I use this job for the assessment? , this is the only job I have undertaken this year under my company so will have no other jobs I could use apart from a few light changes, and socket outlets replaced

This is a CATCH 22 (personally i know i am Mad)
As you know, shouldnt be doing Notifable work without notifing, but how to show you can do it without doing it!
The Assessors are just there to Assess your Testing work.
I think they like to see a CU change and a New circuit (what i got suggest for my next assessment, not sure if that was a HINT to do around the House next)

NB im not the most helpful person as i go off at tangents and jump around in my comments, sorry about that

This is a CATCH 22 (personally i know i am Mad)
As you know, shouldnt be doing Notifable work without notifing, but how to show you can do it without doing it!
The Assessors are just there to Assess your Testing work.
I think they like to see a CU change and a New circuit (what i got suggest for my next assessment, not sure if that was a HINT to do around the House next)

I was aware that I must be under a certification body to carry out notifiable work but it is as you said catch 22, when being assessed on a few light changes and socket front changes would be enough to qualify the assessment needs, it states they require to see previous test certain, notifiable jobs etc, and how can you do this, unless carrying out the work then notifying the works once certified?

its very complicated if you ask me

Overall so long as you pass the assessment and you can then you can notify the job within the required 20 days (or whatever period NAPIT state) after completion of the job (which, of course, would not be actually completed until you have had a NAPIT assessor check it!!) then you are OK, not strictly by the book and a nightmare if you do not pass, but the only practical way past this catch 22.

Reply to Tips and Advice for certification assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net