Discuss TP-LInk internet over mains. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

badwolf

Hi Chaps,

Can someone tell me if these devices (tp link internet over mains) will work on different ring finals? Chap I know wants to use these to connect his sky box to his broadband, only thing is his sky box is on the up ring final and his router is on the downstairs ring final, and there is now no way to run a new cat 5 cable in, as everything has been decorated. He has bought these tp link little chappies and wants to know if they will work. Im getting conflicting info on interweb, as to they will work with a loss of bandwith, to not all? Any ideas?

Anything that gets in the way (ie extension leads, filter plugs, different circuits etc) messes them up. Meaning it might work, but it might not and the only way to find out is to try it.....

It will Work. Best practice to plug directly into socket and not via surge protectors or extension sockets. I have three of them in my house all on separate ring mains, works perfectly well.

Does anyone know if they will work on different socket circuits supplied from different phases in the same premises?

It will Work. Best practice to plug directly into socket and not via surge protectors or extension sockets. I have three of them in my house all on separate ring mains, works perfectly well.

I disagree! It might work. Even a reasonable sized ring with too much noisy equipment might be too much for them. On the other hand, as long as there is a bit of copper between them and not too much noise then it might work ;)

Does anyone know if they will work on different socket circuits supplied from different phases in the same premises?

Unlikely. It is a signal modulated on the line conductor I believe and you have to go a long way to join up two phases (ie. back to the substation I guess). On the other hand there will probably be someone somewhere who has got it to work......

Customer has already bought the thingies, he was just checking to see if they would work before opening packages, he could use a repeater, but then he would need a dongle of some kind for the sky box - i think he just wants a cheap/non technical option!

I'm using the TP-link ones (4 of) to connect my sky box, tv & blue ray player to the router. The link spans two different radial circuits and manages about 170-180Mb speed on the 200Mb plugs.

I have 5 running in my house over two rings... A mix of the TL-PA411 and TL-PA511 500Mbps devices (BTW the difference is the 411's are mini). My actual speed is around 300 Mbps although it is little less between devices on the two rings (I think this is the line length rather than anything else). For reference my consumer unit is a Wylex with NHB MCB's.

regards
Scott

These will work over different rings on the same phase. So if you have multiple phases in your home you will have a problem if the circuits are on different phases.

These will work over different rings on the same phase. So if you have multiple phases in your home you will have a problem if the circuits are on different phases.

Not that this will be a problem in your average house.

Reply to TP-LInk internet over mains. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock