Discuss Trade Future in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C&G need to severely increase the difficulty of their courses and the exams.
The regs one is a joke.
If they were all as tough as 2391, I think that would certainly reduce the number of 'Qualified' Electricians that are apparently being produced these days.

Hi all,
Can anyone see a way out for the state of trade or is it all downhill still.

It's downhill all the way with c&g doing away with the 2391 because it is too hard. The 236 done away with for some newly fangled easier qual. AM2 made nice and easy and that's for the ones that do the apprenticeship never mind doing a 5 week course and then being let loose to rewire houses. :veryangry2:

The cynical members amongst us :)-)), reckon C&G are motivated by income, I've no idea myself.
If that is the case, why scrap 2391 because it's too hard, surely they'll get more income from all the resits?
I can't see the logic there.

Anyway, bedtime, I'm shagged out!

C&G need to severely increase the difficulty of their courses and the exams.
The regs one is a joke.
If they were all as tough as 2391, I think that would certainly reduce the number of 'Qualified' Electricians that are apparently being produced these days.
They have changed the difficulty as the 2330 was just multi guess papers which you only have to get 60 percent to pass the new 2357 has only 1 multi guess paper the rest are short answer test which you need 100 percent to pass which makes it much more difficult and all your answers have to be to at least level 3 standard from the very beginning so there are a lot of fails (not by me though I never fail)

I read an earlier thread that all you need to become a member of the Domestic Installer Scheme is a 17th Edition Qualification.
This says it all on just how bad our trade has got.

The cynical members amongst us :)-)), reckon C&G are motivated by income, I've no idea myself.
If that is the case, why scrap 2391 because it's too hard, surely they'll get more income from all the resits?
I can't see the logic there.

Anyway, bedtime, I'm shagged out!

Any exam is difficult if you can't answer the questions!! ...lol!!
Of all the mock 2391 papers that i've looked at, i wouldn't call the 2391 a particularly difficult exam.

I would say the Institute of C&G has most definitely have gone down the grab the money route. If the 2391 was the bench mark it should of stayed in place!! The new route will probably allow more passes, being split over 3 exams. 3 exams means 3 course fee's and 3 exam fee's for every applicant, rather than the 1 course fee and one exam fee for the old 2391. So in my mind, lowering standards in the pursuit of income!! The whole idea of courses and exams should be, to learn and prove knowledge and understanding, not find the lowest denominator for passing an exam....

Last edited by a moderator:
Any exam is difficult if you can't answer the questions!! ...lol!!
Of all the mock 2391 papers that i've looked at, i wouldn't call the 2391 a particularly difficult exam.

2391-10 was a lottery every time, hence the reason you needed to know Guidance note 3 and BS7671 very very well and have a good few years testing behind you.

the one I sat had the scenario of the TT protected Marina c/w pontoons with lighting and separate toilet/washing block.

12 off us sat it, none of us had worked or installed on the above, me and 2 others passed it, and there were some good sparks in that room, I found out after by reading the C&G report that paper had a UK pass rate of 27%

we need more exams like that not less

2391-10 was a lottery every time, hence the reason you needed to know Guidance note 3 and BS7671 very very well and have a good few years testing behind you.

the one I sat had the scenario of the TT protected Marina c/w pontoons with lighting and separate toilet/washing block.

12 off us sat it, none of us had worked or installed on the above, me and 2 others passed it, and there were some good sparks in that room, I found out after by reading the C&G report that paper had a UK pass rate of 27%

we need more exams like that not less

Yeah I agree with that we should not be making exams easier they should be harder so only people who put the yime and effot into being a electrician can pass and actually be a electrician, im only in my second year at college but yet I was talking to a so called electrician the other day I was correcting him as he didnt have a clue "MAKE TEST HARDER NOT EASIER IF THEY CANT DO IT THEY WILL HAVE TO GO INTO PLUMBING"

Reply to Trade Future in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock