Discuss Trade mags in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

KeithC

-
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I just pased the 2399-11 and I'm left with more questions than answers :(

Anyone know of any trade magazines for products/jobs etc.

Any trade shows coming up? Is the InstallerLive at the NEC a little too plumber based.

Lastly, how the heck do I learn to do an energy efficiency survey on a property before quoting for PV??

Cheers,

Keith.

Renewable Energy Installer News

Why do you want to do an energy efficiency survey? It's a good idea but who is going to pay you for it? If you wanted to do it properly you would need to become a Domestic Energy Assessor - https://nextstep.direct.gov.uk/PlanningYourCareer/JobProfiles/JobProfile1456/Pages/default.aspx

We had a question on a dummy paper.....

A requirement of the Microgeneration Certification Scheme is that an energy efficient survey on the building is carried out in line with
A)Part D
B)Part G
C)Part L
D)Part P.

I went for C, part L and was told that was correct. On asking if we'd be told how to carry out this survey the tutor informed me that such information was not part of the
City and Guilds 2399-11 Solar PV Installation course that I had paid for. And there was me thinking a clue to the course content was in it's title :(

Cheers,

Keith

A typical C&G nonsensical question.

None of those Parts of Building Regs apply in Scotland (they have their own system and a different naming convention), whereas MCS does. So none of the answers can possibly be correct.

Complying with Part L would be appropriate if you were installing a Heat Pump in England or Wales, but that doesn't mean you have to carry out an energy efficiency survey. The MCS Standard for Heat Pump installers tells you exactly what you do need to do.

There is nothing in the MCS standards that requires an energy efficiency survey to be conducted before installing a PV system. All you need to do in this vein is a pretty trivial SAP calculation for the amount of energy that will be generated - but I hope they must have shown you how to do that on the course as well as covering all the applicable requirements of BS7671, Part P, ER G83 and G59 and the DTI PV Guide?

The only thing they didn't cover from that list was the SAP calcs, they said they didn't have time so would cover them in next's weeks course. Next weeks course is the standalone 2399-12, which everyone isn't doing.

Cheers,

Keith.

Reply to Trade mags in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock