Discuss Trades Gateway - any feedback good or bad? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

The only thing I don't like is I can't use my DVD's, because I have an apple laptop, and it isn't compatible. I've tried the Library computers, but they would have to change all the settings which is a pain.

Hi just to clear something up. I've just started with them haven't done my practical weeks yet but I listened very closely and have read all the info on this college you get the nvq log book. By going to one of there sites which they have a few of and whilst there they have the nvq assessments people come there. Not all of us can afford to drop and go to college full time. Like myself I have a mortgage to pay for so this was the only course that suited my requirements instead of being negative to us why not help us and ask us about how the course is going with them. As you can see from the posts people are doing well

full scope

part p defined scope
C&G 2377
C&G2382
part p full scope
C&G2392
C&G 2365 level 2 diploma
unit 201/501
unit202
unit203
unit204
unit210
C&G 2365 level 3 level nvq diploma
unit301
unit302
unit304
unit305
unit308
C&G2394
C&G2395
C&G 2357 level 3 nvq diploma once all others completed

These are the ones I'm doing. I've tried looking for a company to jump ship to but there isn't any willing to take me on. The only way to jump ship is to do an apprenticeship and I have a mortgage and bills to pay and the 150 a week will no where near cover that. This was the only way I could get some qualifications and still live. If it's as easy as you say to jump ship then why couldn't I find it nor my fiend who has been an electrician for 6 years. I really want to get into the trade but I've emailed loads of firms asking and offering to work for free for experience and I get nothing back. I tried before and am still trying hence why I joined this site. This was the only way I could see me getting a chance. I know I should have done it when I was 17 but I'm nearly 30 with commitments. I was offered no help from anyone of the colleges on where to go. I steered clear of the silly 4 week in out and of you go course and found this one

They have given me them courses is well as I knew nothing about electrics so it's a good way of getting introduced to it all. The pat testing is added in so you have it. The nvq bit is done on there construction sites which they run as a construction business and when your time comes you go and work for there company for free at different sites to gain the portfolio. I would work hard for 9-13 pound an hour but I've looked and there isn't anything believe me. Like I said before the only ones I could find where apprenticeship paid 150 pound a week. How can anyone live on that. That wouldn't everyday my mortgage.let alone bills food and travel costs jeez. It's crazy. This was my only option. Cheers for raining in.my parade and everyone else's doing this course at nearly 7 grand cost nice oh well looks like I'm stuck doing what I'm doing for the rest of my life

If you know of any companies that would be willing to take me on as a trainee could you point me in the right direction I have 12 years experience and I'm a site supervisor at the min. I have loads of site experience just not electrical

But I haven't completed that yet so I don't stand a chance. I have only just just started like couple of months haven't been to the centre yet I go after module 11 I'm on module 8. So what are you saying I'm going to have to train after doing all this before I can get a job or will I be able to get a job as a trainee once I have completed my course Im not stupid I know you can not be full qualified until you have at least a couple of years experience but I hoping that once I've done the course people would be willing to give me a go at getting that experience and then move up. I've been a drainage engineer for 12 years I know how it all works but you have just chucked. A spanner in my works now.dont know whether I'm coming or going

I'm doing my portfolio with them they have a house to re wire completely and do all the board change and that they also hive you software to put it all together. See if the ones in the list are the ones I need then the college is doing what every other college is other than the guys getting a job as apprenticeship and earning 150 a week. This is why I'm so Co fused there are loads out there. I called one bloke he said give me 3 grand come to my classroom for 3 weeks then my workshop for 3 weeks and your done and will be able to get a job as an electrician I said no thanks and he kept calling me back some where in Birmingham I was like sounds lime a scam and props was. At least trades gateway provide all the content course books regs books and so on for you included in the price and just for the course you do 9 weeks with them and then your nvq takes as long as you need to get it done after you have pass ed it all. I did what I thought wad best no I'm so confused my mate who was an electrician said I would be cool if I passed all that and would have more than what he had for paying 3 grand at college 2 nights a week while delivering for tesco

I like to say I signed up and agreed to a loan agreement of 7000 pounds today. I realised that some things wasn't adding up. This site helped me confirm them.

Anyone who has signed a loan agreement. You have 14 days to cancel your agreement. I strongly advise so. I already sent emails and the reason why I don't trust these people is that there is something on the back talking about a 80 pound fee for practical sessions and the fact that they don't have to pay us for our accommodation. The guy was really good at selling to me but I always do my research and I should have really read the back of the agreement. To be honest the guy mentioned finding an employer and that when it registered in my brain I don't need half of those qualifications after doing a google search. I realised that i need to complete the practical work assessment for the 2357 part and these guys just sound dodgy and I don't take people word especially a salesman. I sent the man a text and he said he had not send off the documents so I would not have to do anything and I asked for him to send me the documents I signed back to me and he said he post it monday. Of course I don't believe a single word because when I asked him to call me back, he didn't call me back and he said he call me within the hour. They might be telling the truth about the course but 7000 pounds is kind of bull**** when I looked up and compared the cost of the NVQS that colleges was providing.

I decided to go down the college route myself and try to find a employer. Maybe they telling the truth but when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

they actually called train 4 jobs, the sales people.

well ive literally just had a private message from someone that is nearly finished the course with them, yes its more expensive because of the way its open for you too choose how you do it and when, rather than a college telling you you have to come this day and that day, this course is aimed at people that cant cater to the colleges time table and the reason the other courses are in there as its for people that know nothing about electrics at. so before you go slagging them off why not talk to people that have finished the course with them as you actually know nothing about them, i like to see where you have found that online about having to pay 80 quid and they openly told me that i would have to pay for accommodation and then they would reimburse upto half the amount and would only do this if you was over 50 miles from the nearest test centre other wise they would reimburse your travel cost. did you actually ask any questions or are you a yes man that just nods there head, i did not find it to be a sales pitch when they came to see me. they gave me plenty of time to think about it, also the colleges will want the money in lump somes and these are offering a credit argement and again this is aimed at people with other commitments

well ive literally just had a private message from someone that is nearly finished the course with them, yes its more expensive because of the way its open for you too choose how you do it and when, rather than a college telling you you have to come this day and that day, this course is aimed at people that cant cater to the colleges time table and the reason the other courses are in there as its for people that know nothing about electrics at. so before you go slagging them off why not talk to people that have finished the course with them as you actually know nothing about them, i like to see where you have found that online about having to pay 80 quid and they openly told me that i would have to pay for accommodation and then they would reimburse upto half the amount and would only do this if you was over 50 miles from the nearest test centre other wise they would reimburse your travel cost. did you actually ask any questions or are you a yes man that just nods there head, i did not find it to be a sales pitch when they came to see me. they gave me plenty of time to think about it, also the colleges will want the money in lump somes and these are offering a credit argement and again this is aimed at people with other commitments

Maybe they are telling the truth but maybe would put me in a fixed loan agreement with 7 grand cost. That nearly uni prices for some courses and frankly my cousin was doing the plumber course but she didnt sign any loan agreement and i can afford to pay 156 a month so i had to ask myself why was i in a fixed loan agreement and why was the cost so high compared to her 4 grand cost and obviously even if i wanted to cancel and give them 14 days notice. I still be stuck with 7000 pound debt. In my eyes that just bad ethics and this guy didnt tell me about the 50 pound reg fee or the total cost of the course. This guy was smiling too much for me and getting personal for me to believe him. Im not saying the college isnt legit but going though this sales company affiliate tells me gut feeling something was off.

Im a pretty smart guy and i decided to today to just go learn computer science. I also work in the construction sector but i think sparkie mate in London and doing level 3 employment apprenticeship is best route. I can pay for the course myself and still earn a good wage that what i think anyway. I just need to prove that i can do it with photo evidence right and if worse come to shove. I just do the level 2. I love construction work but i don't see this route as a good investment frankly. Some colleges offer evening classes and that suits me plus the cost of the course seems to be around 1 to 2 grand undiscounted between the colleges. Im 23 so i get the courses discounted but my only annoyance is that i have to wait till september to enroll but it gives me enough time to find a sparkie company. Work as a mate and at the same time i im learning programming langs and retaking my maths as a backup working towards this computer science degree if i really want to go down that path. The great thing about programming is that if your good at it and show a good eportifollo you can get a job and from there i can build my experince on the side. That my plan anyway.

Just want to say thanks to the people who posted in here. You helped made me come to a decision I'm happy with and i take the advice of actual sparkies instead of some salesman with a 7grand fixed loan agreement.

My advice to people already on the course with these people is that dor the 2537 you still need to find a employer. This was the biggest alarm for me. It says in their study book. Note about the 2357 and that they might offer you employment to complete it once a assesser blah blah. Mights are never good and the dude listed me down as self employed when really i work though paye agency and i told him this and lastly i text him saying how can i do the 2357 part and he said your employer which didn't make any sense since they told me they had worksites for the level 3 which makes me question just how these guys exactly operate. I mean i should have realised something was off when he showed me a video of tommy walsh. http://www.tradesgateway.co.uk/trade-news/students-will-renovate-wolverhamptons-historic-homes/

My question is 100 hours of practical...sounds too good to be true.

Last edited:
Also my question is 100 hours of practical...sounds too good to be true. I mean the guy told me i don't have to anything because he has not sent off the forms but i watched him by phone set up the loan with carginie finance. Lol. I told him to come get the bag but he said i could keep it. Also i was meant to pay him by cash but i was short on cash at that current moment but he said on the loan agreement it was paid by direct debit. Hence why i know worst comes to shove he try con me out of 50 pound but he gave me a recipt saying i paid cash so i think i can actually cover my --- there when i speak to the loaning company people on monday. I still emailed them but i still call on monday. I also contact my bank and inform them on monday as well to deny any payments.

Im thinking of contacting watchdog.

Last edited:
Watchdog you make me laugh they aven dine anything wrong you plum. You just got cold feet and wasted there time. Just go crawl back under your rock lol. They have successfully trained loads of people haha ha watchdog

Watchdog you make me laugh they aven dine anything wrong you plum. You just got cold feet and wasted there time. Just go crawl back under your rock lol. They have successfully trained loads of people haha ha watchdog

Each to their own. Maybe the college is legit but the sales people are not. They lied to me and i don't like the idea of signing a loan when i can get a much cheaper alternate. I looked into it and i looked at the agreement and to me it all maybes and they told me one thing but it seems it another. Anyway good luck and i recommend as soon as you get your level 2. You need to go into employment with a sparkie company anyway to complete the 2357 part.

Have a nice day.

That's where you are wrong as they have there own construction company that you go along and do your portfolio the loan agreement is no different to any other credit agreement the same as you will be fronted with if you don't pay the college up front in full. It's to make sure that if your an arse the college can still recover the funds that they need

Reply to Trades Gateway - any feedback good or bad? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net