Discuss Trailing Sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leolion2177

Hi Guys

I was hoping some of you could give me some advice. (as i am not an electrician!)
I have been asked to do a fire risk assessment on a salvage shop that sells extremely old and extremely expensive vintage light fittings.
The client says that her local electrician inspects and rewires the lights if necessary prior to him putting them up and displaying them. My opinion was that if she gets an invoice and a cert for that - well and good.

The thing that worries me is that the shop is full of double adapters and 4 gang trailing sockets all stuffed with plugs from the lights. From a fire risk assessment point of view, overuse of trailing sockets is a massive no-no.

Can anyone advise if this is deemed electrically acceptable / safe or should a more permanent solution be suggested?

Thanks in advance guys

if they are in acceptable condition, wired safely using correct type cable - leave it alone.

the extension leads, if in good order and correctly fused should be no problem. those plug-in adaptors are.

1. strain on the socket contacts.
2. if unfused adaptors, then there is a real possibility of overloading the socket/s and their fixed wiring.

Cheers guys!

So , if I have this correct , a square double/triple adaptor is bad news (as there is no fuse) but a 4 gang socket straight into the wall is acceptable provided all is correctly cabled and wired?

Would I be right in saying that these cables would fall under pat testing maintenance rather than electrical installation.

Thanks in advance

Cheers guys!

So , if I have this correct , a square double/triple adaptor is bad news (as there is no fuse) but a 4 gang socket straight into the wall is acceptable provided all is correctly cabled and wired? as long as the extn. lead is fused @ 13A or less.

Would I be right in saying that these cables would fall under pat testing maintenance rather than electrical installation. yes

Thanks in advance
my comments in red.

Cheers guys.
I didn't want any sleepless nights!
Basically there are up to 4 light fittings in each 4 gang extension lead and we were always taught to stay away from them!

The only problem now is they are fully unwound and clipped to the rafters so have to figure out how to pat test properly as i cant take them down to inspect them.

Thanks for all your help.

Reply to Trailing Sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net