Discuss Trainee asking for an explanation on something I found today (arcing cable) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mighty Chum

Hey there folks, just to let you know I am only a trainee, not actually started my NVQ yet but been working with most aspects of the trade for about 6 months now.

Today I was working on the roof of a cinema replacing some emergency lights. Whilst up there the spark I am working under approached me saying "There's a real weird sound up here" as he did so. I assumed he just meant the AC units and waved it off. As I went back to grab another fitting I heard it too, a constant popping or cracking sound. Cast my eyes over the large Hollywood style "Cinema" sign and saw this.

Electrical Stuff - Album on Upload the image directly to the thread

After some shared expletives between myself and my sparks, we took the photos and then killed the feed using the rotary isolater.

By the looks of it the earth cable had suffered a fire at some point, the unit developed a fault which resulted in the live or neutral becoming too hot, burning out and then the now exposed ends of the broken cable began arcing.

What I'm asking of you folks as I forgot to ask my sparks at the time, is in your opinions, why did the circuit not trip? Why would a burnt out earth cable then cause the main incoming to overheat so much?

Looks like a high voltage neon transformer. If the fault was on the secondary side the overcurrent protection on the 230v supply won't trip. Secondary side fusing would be required.

For future reference if you see these types of transformers again anywhere be sure to give them a very wide berth and don't go anywhere near the wiring that supplies the neon tubes.

Thank you for the information. As far as I know it was supplying the lights that surrounded the letter so very likely a neon. I made sure not to touch any metal whatsoever, only the plastic isolater as I really didn't like the idea of it being on despite it looking in a fairly "stable" condition.

Also the original installation is so shoddy nothing is fed from the DB you would expect, all circuit lists are either wrong, obsolete due to later modifications or you will find other fittings etc spidered off them in a horrendous way. As the cinema was in operating hours we couldn't search for its breaker. We are back tomorrow for 5am and are planning to identify where they are being fed from and then completely remove their feeds from their breakers.

Gods only know when the numpty who turned them on did it and gods only know when the next numpty will do it, if they aren't connected at all, at least we eliminate numpty from the equation.

For my own curiousity, what would you guess the reason behind the incoming cable burning out so catastrophically and creating that arcing mess? Fire from the earth (perhaps it was a bonding cable actually looking at it) destroying the insulation in it?

The installation is very shoddy and these things are a notorious fire hazard at the best of times. 9 times out of 10 any arcing fault will be on the secondary side that supplies the neon tube, not on the supply side. They can produce up to 20 KV or thereabouts which makes the secondary wiring very prone to arcing. If you get a whack off the secondary wiring it will be a defining moment in your life that you won't forget (assuming you live to tell the tale). Where I am it's law that this type of transformer is supplied by a firemans switch on the 230v supply. The switch has to be mounted in a visible location and easily accessible/operated with a 2 meter pole.

Trainee asking for an explanation on something I found today (arcing cable) images - EletriciansForums.net

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the likelihood is that the arcing side isn't from the board but the feed from the transformer. As it kicks out such a high voltage the cable they've used to go the neon is woefully inadequate, creating lots of heat, burning the cable out and causing this abomination.

Would that also explain why it hasn't tripped the breaker, as the fault is occurring outside of the breakers sphere of influence? The transformer overriding it.

Thanks a load for the responses as well.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the likelihood is that the arcing side isn't from the board but the feed from the transformer.
Yes, most likely arcing on the high voltage feed that's coming from the transformer.

As it kicks out such a high voltage the cable they've used to go the neon is woefully inadequate, creating lots of heat, burning the cable out and causing this abomination.
The HV wiring has very thick insulation that prevents arcing. The insulation probably got damaged where the excuse for a gland fell out and it's rubbing on the cut edges of the plate it's going through.

Would that also explain why it hasn't tripped the breaker, as the fault is occurring outside of the breakers sphere of influence? The transformer overriding it.
'Sphere of influence' is a term usually referring to earthing arrangements. See page 5 of the linked doc. A circuit breaker on the final circuit suppling a transformer won't protect against faults on the secondary side. Circuit breakers are selected primarily according to the size of cable they're protecting, not the appliances or devices that are supplied by that circuit.

As a trainee I realise you are just doing as you are instructed and not carrying the responsibility, but I would be wary of someone who takes it upon themselves to disconnect disconnect something at a DB without getting the permission/authorisation from the client or their representative.

Turning off the sign at the isolator then informing the client of the dangerous situation is a very sensible thing to do.

But when the management notice that the big illuminated sign is no longer working and then find out that it has been disconnected by a well meaning but unauthorised electrician, that electrician could be in a world of trouble!

Thanks a bunch for the information Marvo, looking forward to surprising my sparks on the way to the job tomorrow with my new found learning.

Dave, thanks for the warning, very nice to know for future reference. I feel I didn't explain that after consulting with the manager of the danger of the fault and the relative ease in which it could happen again, he agreed we should remove it. Also the sign itself is meant to be permanently turned off as it faces the wrong way, cannot be seen and costs them money for no benefit.

Where I am it's law that this type of transformer is supplied by a firemans switch on the 230v supply. The switch has to be mounted in a visible location and easily accessible/operated with a 2 meter pole.

View attachment 28110

I don't know about law, but it is certainly in the regulations to install a firefighters switch (not a firemans switch since it went all PC!) and not more than 2.75m above the hard standing beneath it (unless agreed by the fire service)

I'm not sure if that height has changed in recent years but in years gone by the maximum height was based on the height of a policeman! There was a minimum height requirement to join the police, the firemans switch had to be low enough to be operated by the shortest policeman using a standard length truncheon. This is also why our firemans switches must be operated by an upwards action!

...It's a good job we didn't get together as kids,i did this very project,at 15,and took it in to my physics lesson...everyone was impressed,and my teacher thanked me,before ensuring i took it home...

If you made it through school in the 70's,without electrocution or buggery...there really should be some kind of award...

I don't know about law, but it is certainly in the regulations to install a firefighters switch (not a firemans switch since it went all PC!) and not more than 2.75m above the hard standing beneath it (unless agreed by the fire service)

I'm not sure if that height has changed in recent years but in years gone by the maximum height was based on the height of a policeman! There was a minimum height requirement to join the police, the firemans switch had to be low enough to be operated by the shortest policeman using a standard length truncheon. This is also why our firemans switches must be operated by an upwards action!

The height was lowered as of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP]. As you say, to account for short arsed coppers and even shorter firewomen.

I'm pretty sure the height requirement is to allow for a fireman's short axe to be used to operate the isolator. Daz

...It's a good job we didn't get together as kids,i did this very project,at 15,and took it in to my physics lesson...everyone was impressed,and my teacher thanked me,before ensuring i took it home...

If you made it through school in the 70's,without electrocution or buggery...there really should be some kind of award...

Was it a all male school then?

There's no reason to expect the LV circuit protection to trip, as the output of the transformer is self-limiting by design. Like many kinds of discharge lamp, neon tubes must be driven by (approximately) a constant current rather than a constant voltage. To provide this, a traditional wirewound neon sign transformer is different from a straight-forward step-up transformer as it has a magnetic shunt to limit the secondary current to the correct value for the type of tube in use, just as a ballast limits the current through a sodium or metal halide lamp.

That could be say 50mA at 5kV - enough to cause a hot steady arc dissipating 250W and easily capable of setting fire to stuff - but consuming only 1A from the mains.

You express your a trainee and with all respect the answers have been informative and tailored for your knowledge.... was your overviewer aware of the cause and very high risk associated with this fault... letting you get that close with the camera(phone) was a risk in itself as these faults can track far and tend to burn their return routes out leaving exposed metal at very high potential waiting for the unsuspecting.. hope you had some distance and that is zoomed in!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure the height requirement is to allow for a fireman's short axe to be used to operate the isolator. Daz

It may be now, but originally it was based on the policeman as above. Firemen have much longer poles they can use for such things ;)

Yep same here, not law as such but sans10142 installation regs. There might also be an EWAR reg about these firemans/firefighters switches I'm not sure TBH and we're not so PC in Africa, we still call them firemen :)

The story sounds plausible about being in reach by a truncheon or even a firepersons axe, I'm not sure what the exact height requirement is here or how it was decided cause the police don't have truncheons, maybe using an R5 rifle instead ;)

You express your a trainee and with all respect the answers have been informative and tailored for your knowledge.... was your overviewer aware of the cause and very high risk associated with this fault... letting you get that close with the camera(phone) was a risk in itself as these faults can track far and tend to burn their return routes out leaving exposed metal at very high potential waiting for the unsuspecting.. hope you had some distance and that is zoomed in!!!!!!
I think the danger with these is that whilst they can certainly deliver enough energy at 10 or 15KV to defibrillate you, you're also as likely to get thrown off a roof or off a ladder by one if you come into contact.

I think the danger with these is that whilst they can certainly deliver enough energy at 10 or 15KV to defibrillate you, you're also as likely to get thrown off a roof or off a ladder by one if you come into contact.

You bet!

Try getting 12KV up your arm.

I was knocked unconscious when I hit the wall but walked away.

Reply to Trainee asking for an explanation on something I found today (arcing cable) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock