Discuss Training/Qualification advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

youspruce

Hi all,

I am a new member to this forum and would like to introduce myself. I am seeking advice to help me gain the knowledge and experience needed to help me property develop.

To give you some context, my brother and I last year inherited my mother’s property which has a decent sized plot of land with it. We have realised the potential to develop a 2nd property and are currently applying for approval from the local planning office.

I would like to undertake the electrical installation myself as well as do any future property developments after this one. I am not looking to work as a qualified electrician at this moment in time but could be an option for the future.

I have been looking at taking a course through a private college in London (ableskills) as I need to learn quickly enough for me to be ready to wire in the new property once built (this could be sometime away yet). I am aware from my research that this type of training are leaving people a bit short of the hands on experience required to work as an electrician full time as well as advising on courses that are not really necessary. I understand that I will need a fully qualified electrician to sign off my work, but do you think this kind of training would be good enough for me to carry out my own work and build on this experience for the future?

The C&G/EAL qualifications I have been advised to take are below. Would this cover my requirements/are there any other C&G courses you would suggest taking?

C&G 4555 - Introduction to Domestic Electrical Installation and Understanding Electrical Installation and Applicable Building Regulations

C&G 2382-12 (17th Edition)

C&G 2377-22 – Portable Appliance (PAT) Testing

C&G 2392-10 Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification

EAL Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations

Many thanks and appreciation for advice/guidance given

Regards,

youspruce

If you gained them qualifications you could join niceic or similar and do it all yourself and wouldn't need another electrician to inspect and test your installions or alternatively inform your council and pay the price to notify your works that way

I'd advise that although you have the very best intentions, let this first property be first and second fixed by the professional and qualified electrician. Get involved with the planning of circuits explaining that you are interested in getting qualified yourself. You can watch and be involved in the process and help 1st fix.
You need to maximise your profit from this first development and doing it yourself will not achieve that. With the profit of the sale you can use it to take your time to train and gain experience with another electrician and perhaps be ready to wire or improve the next in your portfolio.

Thanks both, that is sound advance. I want to learn properly and there is no better way but to be shown by someone who knows what they are doing. Its going to be some time before the property is ready to be wired in so this will give me good time to gain some valuable knowledge beforehand.

Thanks both, that is sound advance. I want to learn properly and there is no better way but to be shown by someone who knows what they are doing. Its going to be some time before the property is ready to be wired in so this will give me good time to gain some valuable knowledge beforehand.

Please bear in mind that the usual apprentice route sees 3 or 4 years of practical training to compliment the theory studies.
I admire your drive and enthusiasm, but would recommend that even after completing the course package you have described you would be woefully under skilled and inexperienced to be able to carry out the task you have planned.

If you wish to be an electrician in the future then you should be looking at courses that give you the full knowledge and experience, and not the collection of add on courses you have listed.

It may be worth weighing up the cost of the course and all other associated costs such as regulations books, scheme membership, insurance, tools, etc.
I think you will find that it may actually be cheaper to pay an experienced electrician to wire the project you are planning than to end up facing it yourself with no experience.

Please bear in mind that the usual apprentice route sees 3 or 4 years of practical training to compliment the theory studies.
I admire your drive and enthusiasm, but would recommend that even after completing the course package you have described you would be woefully under skilled and inexperienced to be able to carry out the task you have planned.

If you wish to be an electrician in the future then you should be looking at courses that give you the full knowledge and experience, and not the collection of add on courses you have listed.

It may be worth weighing up the cost of the course and all other associated costs such as regulations books, scheme membership, insurance, tools, etc.
I think you will find that it may actually be cheaper to pay an experienced electrician to wire the project you are planning than to end up facing it yourself with no experience.

Thanks Andy. I am starting to understand the bigger picture a bit better now. Its a big project with little experience at the moment but want to learn different skills. Maybe I will stick to the painting and decorating and learn the electrics alongside. I am a qualified accountant and will be doing my numbers to ensure the project performs to its best :)

You do need need to be (Qualified) but competent, but how do you prove competence without tickets.

To be fair, houses are not difficult, providing your design is good, generally average 3 bed house is simple.

C&G 4555 is pretty worthless, it a course they made up to go with the C&G 2393 building regs.
PAT testing won't give you any knowledge in house bashing
17th edition is good, although 18th edition will be stating to come in next year/jan19.
level 2 inspection & testing is pretty basic.
EAL level 3 is considered the easy option in inspection and testing, you want to do the job properly, get the C&G 2394/2395 takes longer, but its the proper qaulification.

in training courses you'll prob pay around 3k for above, 2394/2395 is £1300 alone.

Buy the green IET building regs book & IET onsite guide. it will cover everything you need to know,

you'll need to buy a multifunction tester, along with any other electrical related tools, bare in mind the average electrician prob has 10k of tools in there van.

If you join a scheme like the NICEIC domestic installer, it will be 1k just to join, if you don't you will have to have visits from building control which will be costly,

open an account with an electrical wholesaler otherwise pay top prices in the likes of screw fix etc, (you won't get an Electrifix account at screwfix as your not properly qualified)

Whilst you will get valuable skills, you have no experience, and you can't learn everything in 6 weeks, so its likely you'll miss out lots of things, from not ordering something to forgetting to pull a cable in after its been plastered.

Summary, the above is expensive enough, factor in no experience, likely hood of something being wrong, then the cost of hiring someone qualified to rectify. unless your minted... then crack on!

No point in a yellow unless he's training - buy a green at £5.50 and an OSG and read - not much is different to the yellow, that's what he was saying @buzzlightyear

I may be wrong though.

Youspruce,

I am currently undertaking electrical courses at Able Skills. I have just finished the C&G Level 2 2365 and start the Level 3 2365 Diploma in Electrical Installations on Monday. Each course is 7 weeks in duration. It is very intense and I find myself studying for several hours in the evening and at weekends.

Level 2 is fairly basic but that was good for me as I had no electrical experience prior to attending the course.

Having finished the Level 2 course, I now understand wiring lighting circuits and ring and radial power circuits. However, you don't learn or practice how to wire a house, for example where to lay the cables.

In hindsight it would have been better for me to study it part time in the evenings and then obtain a job as an electrician's mate. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Having sought advice from a couple of the tutors at Able Skills, the best route would be to get a job as an electrician's mate. This would give you the opportunity to learn from a qualified electrician, whilst obtaining the required qualification. But that is all well and good if don't have a another day job.

Technically if all you wanted to do was domestic installation, then you would need to take the Domestic Installers course, 17th edition wiring regs (2382) and the 2394 and 2395 inspection and testing courses. Although we are being told by Able Skills the 2394 and 2395 is being replaced by the 2391. However no date for this yet.

Also as previously mentioned the draft has been written for the 18th edition wiring regs. If you can wait another year or so then it is worth it. I sat the 17th edition exam yesterday, and according to the tutor it is valid until 2019. Then I will have to sit the 18th edition.

If you want my opinion on Able Skills, then I would say it is great place to learn, the instructors are friendly and knowledgeable and the facilities are good. Only downside from my point of view is there is not enough practical time. But as the courses are short, I don't think there is much they can do about it.

Good luck mate, hope it all works out.

All the best

Pete

Youspruce,

I am currently undertaking electrical courses at Able Skills. I have just finished the C&G Level 2 2365 and start the Level 3 2365 Diploma in Electrical Installations on Monday. Each course is 7 weeks in duration. It is very intense and I find myself studying for several hours in the evening and at weekends.

Level 2 is fairly basic but that was good for me as I had no electrical experience prior to attending the course.

Having finished the Level 2 course, I now understand wiring lighting circuits and ring and radial power circuits. However, you don't learn or practice how to wire a house, for example where to lay the cables.

In hindsight it would have been better for me to study it part time in the evenings and then obtain a job as an electrician's mate. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Having sought advice from a couple of the tutors at Able Skills, the best route would be to get a job as an electrician's mate. This would give you the opportunity to learn from a qualified electrician, whilst obtaining the required qualification. But that is all well and good if don't have a another day job.

Technically if all you wanted to do was domestic installation, then you would need to take the Domestic Installers course, 17th edition wiring regs (2382) and the 2394 and 2395 inspection and testing courses. Although we are being told by Able Skills the 2394 and 2395 is being replaced by the 2391. However no date for this yet.

Also as previously mentioned the draft has been written for the 18th edition wiring regs. If you can wait another year or so then it is worth it. I sat the 17th edition exam yesterday, and according to the tutor it is valid until 2019. Then I will have to sit the 18th edition.

If you want my opinion on Able Skills, then I would say it is great place to learn, the instructors are friendly and knowledgeable and the facilities are good. Only downside from my point of view is there is not enough practical time. But as the courses are short, I don't think there is much they can do about it.

Good luck mate, hope it all works out.

All the best

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the feedback on courses. I was down at ableskills yesterday checking out the facilities and they look very good. I think I will go with them as they are closest to home and appear to be good value for money.

With regards to the level 2 course you took, what percentage was spent hands on / in the classroom?

Thanks

You do need need to be (Qualified) but competent, but how do you prove competence without tickets.

To be fair, houses are not difficult, providing your design is good, generally average 3 bed house is simple.

C&G 4555 is pretty worthless, it a course they made up to go with the C&G 2393 building regs.
PAT testing won't give you any knowledge in house bashing
17th edition is good, although 18th edition will be stating to come in next year/jan19.
level 2 inspection & testing is pretty basic.
EAL level 3 is considered the easy option in inspection and testing, you want to do the job properly, get the C&G 2394/2395 takes longer, but its the proper qaulification.

in training courses you'll prob pay around 3k for above, 2394/2395 is £1300 alone.

Buy the green IET building regs book & IET onsite guide. it will cover everything you need to know,

you'll need to buy a multifunction tester, along with any other electrical related tools, bare in mind the average electrician prob has 10k of tools in there van.

If you join a scheme like the NICEIC domestic installer, it will be 1k just to join, if you don't you will have to have visits from building control which will be costly,

open an account with an electrical wholesaler otherwise pay top prices in the likes of screw fix etc, (you won't get an Electrifix account at screwfix as your not properly qualified)

Whilst you will get valuable skills, you have no experience, and you can't learn everything in 6 weeks, so its likely you'll miss out lots of things, from not ordering something to forgetting to pull a cable in after its been plastered.

Summary, the above is expensive enough, factor in no experience, likely hood of something being wrong, then the cost of hiring someone qualified to rectify. unless your minted... then crack on!

Thanks for the advice Adam. My plan is undertake the project in a cost effective way as well as gain some valuable skills for future projects. I certainly cannot afford to chuck money at my mistakes! A couple of questions if you don't mind

If I was to employ a qualified sparky to design the circuits and get me started do you think I would be ok to finish the job myself? or would it be best to get them to do the entire job while I shadow them? and would an electrician be willing to work in such a way? I think I would find it annoying myself if I had a novice shadowing me (I may have answered my own question here!)

With having a qualified electrician overseeing everything I do, would I need NICEIC membership myself or could I use the electricians?

Thanks again

Thanks for the advice Adam. My plan is undertake the project in a cost effective way as well as gain some valuable skills for future projects. I certainly cannot afford to chuck money at my mistakes! A couple of questions if you don't mind

If I was to employ a qualified sparky to design the circuits and get me started do you think I would be ok to finish the job myself? or would it be best to get them to do the entire job while I shadow them? and would an electrician be willing to work in such a way? I think I would find it annoying myself if I had a novice shadowing me (I may have answered my own question here!)

With having a qualified electrician overseeing everything I do, would I need NICEIC membership myself or could I use the electricians?

Thanks again

Would an electrician be willing to work in such a way ? Not many, no. You are effectively asking them to help you do them out of work.

Would you be able to and should you be carrying out work on your own after a short course ?
In my opinion, no. You should be getting a few years practical experience under supervision under your belt after your brief training to gain skills and also to fill in all the gaps in your knowledge this course will leave you with.

Why don't you project manage the whole build, get reading and learning about it and it will improve your knowledge of different trades. Timing of fixes and schedules. You may be very good at this and it'll take all of you time up.
I say do your course but don't expect to be a major part of this build except experiencing how everything gets done and on time.
Just my opinion

I understand that I will need a fully qualified electrician to sign off my work,

You do not need a fully qualified electrician to"sign off your work"
If you were doing any electrical work yourself you would be in contravention of BS7671 IEE regs unless you completed a installation certificate (naming you as the installer)
It is applicable to any electrical work undertaken by you or anyone else,whether they be an electrician or not

would I need NICEIC membership myself

There is also no requirement to be in the Niceic or any other numerous similar private profit motivated schemes to install domestic wiring
You "do" have to abide by the Building regs,a full wiring of a house would need notification to them
You can pay them to oversee the work, inspecting what you have done during 1st and 2nd fix and to test the installation

If you don't want to pay them,perhaps have "a n other" to do the work
You can hire a electrician who is registered with the any one of the myriad of schemes, they can self certify that their work complies with building regs and you don't need to pay Building control

In a nutshell,there is no restriction on who can do the work,there are consequences if that work is found to be below whats required

Reply to Training/Qualification advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock