Discuss Tri-flex instead of solid tails in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've used 150, 185 and 240mm trip flex on large installs before contained in metal trunking.
Is there any reason I can't use 35mm for a 100amp 3phase install contained in plastic trunking? Bend radius and access is going to be tricky and a pain with solid core.

As long as there in suitable containment and ferruled/lugged properly at either end. Go for it.

Any fine stranded conductor must be terminated with either a ferrule or crimp or similar.

The only exception is when using it with specially designed spring loaded terminals.

Any fine stranded conductor must be terminated with either a ferrule or crimp or similar.

The only exception is when using it with specially designed spring loaded terminals.
I would have thought that fine stranded would be OK without a ferrule in any terminal where the screw doesn't bear directly on the conductor. Cage clamp, for example.

I would have thought that fine stranded would be OK without a ferrule in any terminal where the screw doesn't bear directly on the conductor. Cage clamp, for example.

Well there is an actual reg covering this not that I can remember it off the top of my head, but no, even cage terminals need a ferrule or similar. Over time the fine conductors will still settle inside the cage and it will prove to be a loose connection over time.

With spring loaded terminals, the pressure is constant even when the copper settles. So it avoids the issue.

Well there is an actual reg covering this not that I can remember it off the top of my head, but no, even cage terminals need a ferrule or similar. Over time the fine conductors will still settle inside the cage and it will prove to be a loose connection over time.

With spring loaded terminals, the pressure is constant even when the copper settles. So it avoids the issue.

I would contend that, as long as the terminal is a suitable size for the conductor, ie not a stick in a bucket, that a cage clamp terminal is OK for fine stranded. In fact, I have had problems getting a reliable connection with 6mm² bootlace ferrules in cage clamp terminals due to the problem of getting sufficient pressure on the terminals to stop the rigid ferrules moving in the clamp. Obviously, a ferrule in a direct screw terminal would be a different matter.

The reg is 526.9.1: "In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated."

I've used 150, 185 and 240mm trip flex on large installs before contained in metal trunking.
Is there any reason I can't use 35mm for a 100amp 3phase install contained in plastic trunking? Bend radius and access is going to be tricky and a pain with solid core.
Hi guys
I don't often reply to threads,but I have installed all the cables mentioned in the thread on ups and LV panels and I have always used lugs with a hex crimper and heat sleeving.

hi all
install few months back used tri rated in metal trunking nice slot direct above head with protection & no gap, Siemens engineer turned up to make connection & install fuses to the head mentioned they will not connect to tri rated anymore.
think it was bi rated at that size not tri rated 120mm.
this was also a crimped hex lug into the switch fuse installed next to the head & out the RF panel.

Reply to Tri-flex instead of solid tails in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock