Discuss Tripped circuit won't work again so I've no working lights upstairs - please help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tara100

Hello

I live alone, so I have no help here with electric issues and would really appreciate some advice.

I have no working lights upstairs at the moment, and don't know what to do.....

I switched on an upstairs light this afternoon, and the bulb blew and the rest of the lights in the fitting didn't come on (the bulbs are the small halogen capsule types) Anyway, I wasn't worried as I just presumed the circuit had tripped, and I just had to pop downstairs and lift up the tripped switch.

So I flicked up the offending trip switch on the fuse box (which along with all the electrics is 7 or 8 years old, as I had a rewire and new fuse box, so it's not ancient)
The trouble is, though the switch stays in the upright position, and outwardly appears ok, I still have no lights in any of the upstairs rooms.

The control unit is called 'Crabtree Starbreaker' (I can see a sticker on the its front saying that there is a 'test' button, but I can't see that button)
Is it a case of removing the what looks like a pull out section with the tripped switch inside and getting a replacement? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm presuming these are fuses?

Many thanks
Tara

Re: Tripped circuit won't work again so I've no working lights upstairs - please help

Are all the "switches" in the fuse board in the on position?

Sounds like you have a RCD on your "fuse board". Sounds like this may have tripped also.

Do you have power in the house on your sockets?

Re: Tripped circuit won't work again so I've no working lights upstairs - please help

Hello

All the switches are in their correct position now, pointing north (though the tripped one had flipped down this afternoon when I switched on the bedroom light)

No where else is affected, and the tv switches on from the socket in the bedroom where the fault began.

Is it possible to remove the problem section on the fuse board, and get a replacement to pop in its place? (I think they are called MCB's - Google helped me there!)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like it may be a faulty MCB, maybe worth trying to switch the one that tripped earlier, on and off several times to see if it solves the issue. Regardless of if it does or not you should call a electrician to come and have a look as there may be a more serious underlying fault somewhere on the circuit.

If you post your location on here, you may even find someone local to you on here who could carry out any repairs.

i would recommend calling a suitably qualified electrican, unless you know exactly what you are doing replacing a mcb can be very dangerous, also you dont know that the problem is a faulty mcb coyuld be somthing else

Ok, I'll try switching it on and off tomorrow - its a bit dark inside the meter cupboard to be doing anything now :)

( After looking at this page, I think the part involved that needs replacing, is a circuit breaker: http://www.dchomewood.co.uk/content.php/15120 )

Many thanks for your help.

Is it possible to remove the problem section on the fuse board, and get a replacement to pop in its place? (I think they are called MCB's - Google helped me there!)

Thanks!

Getting a replacement MCB shouldn't be a problem, but I would advise getting a electrician in, as there may be other faults on the circuit too. I wouldn't recommend replacing a MCB if you have no experience of doing so.

Getting a replacement MCB shouldn't be a problem, but I would advise getting a electrician in, as there may be other faults on the circuit too. I wouldn't recommend replacing a MCB if you have no experience of doing so.

I won't try anything myself, as the more I think about it, the more scared I get that I'll hurt myself!

Before I actually contact an electrician, what should I look for competency / registration wise? I've had some dodgy 'tradesmen' here before, and I don't want to repeat that mistake.

Many thanks

If you post your location, there maybe someone on here near you who may be able to help.

Or failing that you could ask friends and family if they can recommend someone.

Or you could try Competent Persons Register | Home if all else fails, although that wont necessary stop the dodgy ones.

If you post your location, there maybe someone on here near you who may be able to help.

Or failing that you could ask friends and family if they can recommend someone.

Or you could try Competent Persons Register | Home if all else fails, although that wont necessary stop the dodgy ones.

I did add my location next to my name, but maybe its not showing yet. I'm in Torquay, South Devon :)

Hi

I removed the whitened blown bulb from the bedroom light fitting, and now I have working lights upstairs.....I didn't realise that it would still be having an effect with the electrics!

Many thanks to those who've replied, and maybe the thread will help someone else that has the same thing happen in the future :)

Best wishes
Tara

Well done you, you are better than us experts (don't include myself there)! I'm sure someone would have eventually asked if you had done just that. It's the nature of these and similar types of bulbs, that can cause short circuits inside the bulb casing. Wise advice though about getting in an electrician, to change mcb's etc.

Hi

I removed the whitened blown bulb from the bedroom light fitting, and now I have working lights upstairs.....I didn't realise that it would still be having an effect with the electrics!

Many thanks to those who've replied, and maybe the thread will help someone else that has the same thing happen in the future :)

Best wishes
Tara
have you thought of re-training as a sparks? you've done better than some of the so-called electricians out there could do!

Well done Tara and well done members thats the sort of advice the forum should be giving. makes a change from jumping down peoples throats.

give my regards to basil and sybil. and don't forget manuel!

I live around the corner from the Gleneagles Hotel, which is where the Monty Python team stayed and John Cleese got the inspiration for Faulty Towers.....apparantly, the manager there behaved exactly like Basil, and there was a certain spanish waiter too :6:

I still watch the Faulty re-runs on UK Gold ;-)

I live around the corner from the Gleneagles Hotel, which is where the Monty Python team stayed and John Cleese got the inspiration for Faulty Towers.....apparantly, the manager there behaved exactly like Basil, and there was a certain spanish waiter too :6:

I still watch the Faulty re-runs on UK Gold ;-)
A good job you didn't ask the lanky beggar to sort things out, eh. Always worth watching.lol.

Reply to Tripped circuit won't work again so I've no working lights upstairs - please help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock