Discuss trunking and tray in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tomasi

How do you form steel trunking and tray to follow the contours of a circular room ,i.e in a circle.
The trunking and tray will be suspended from the ceiling on a trapeze of unistrut

good luck on answering this one,cheers:eek:

How do you form steel trunking and tray to follow the contours of a circular room ,i.e in a circle.
The trunking and tray will be suspended from the ceiling on a trapeze of unistrut

good luck on answering this one,cheers:eek:
Can't you just use 45 degree bends all the way round:confused:

you can't get a circle the best you can do is use 45 deg. bends and do a hexagon shape

yours benji

trunking and tray {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Think you will have to get them specially made or stick with the 45 degree bends mate.Sorry:eek:When you find out how to do it,let us all know.Never seen it before

Last edited by a moderator:
put 2 lenghts where they need to go with unistrut and then cut a pice to fit inbetween and bolt in place - deburr etc though
repeat till you're done. how big is the room?? r u using 6" or 12"??

sorry just in refrnce 2 the tray only
So if you do this all the way round it will make a perfect circle.Don't think so:eek:

lots of little bends about 2 degrees each it will really show up your skill and if done right looks fantastic. The bends cannot be blought so its up to you to make them it takes time and skill so good luck

Last edited:
Tray will be easier than the trunking
as scotsparky says, use a lot of little bends.
What I have done in the past.
if possible draw a circle on the floor the same size as needed, if not practical you will need to scale down. split the circle into segments. Form one segment with tray/trunking and measure the angle, all other segments should then be made identicle. Like I say tray is fairly straight forward, trunking is more tricky.

you could use basket instead of tray,also just remembered a mate once made an adjustable bend for trunking which salamandre perfected

yours benji

ps he never got a penny

lots of little bends about 2 degrees each it will really show up your skill and if done right looks fantastic. The bends cannot be blought so its up to you to make them it takes time and skill so good luck
Sorry mate.How long.It's your time and money at the end of the day:D

y wouldnt it??

given a tower and grinder y could u not do it??

6 pieces = hexxagon
8 = octa gon
approximates to a circle

depending on the size of the room u could go on

y does it need 2b perfect a perfect circle??

tray gives u the most scope to adapt and fit to ure requirements
The original thread said a circle.Can you do a perfect circle.How long depending on the size of room.Is it in your budget:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Its possible to do but it takes allot of material and some good sheet metal machinery (so specially made) wont be cheap because of amount of material used. Best of luck anyway. :)

Andy it can be done with a sharp Pencil, Battery drill and roofing bolts, Tape measure,Square and a Jigsaw and a protractor. once you vae the first angle its just a matter or repeating it.

Its will show the men from the Boys Its what being a Craftsman is all about.!

Andy it can be done with a sharp Pencil, Battery drill and roofing bolts, Tape measure,Square and a Jigsaw and a protractor. once you vae the first angle its just a matter or repeating it.

Its will show the men from the Boys Its what being a Craftsman is all about.!

I agree mate, but if its more than one off or a large area (not sure how big there wanting) machine made is a possible option.:D

I agree with the basket option instead of tray asthis can be formed to follow any curve. As for the trunking it depends on the overall size of the room. If it is a tight curve you are better off with lots of self-cut joints, as many as you fancy really. If the room is reasonably large with a shallow curve you can get away with the 45's.

Is it on show once the building work is completed? How many places are you coming off of it and will it matter if the trunking to wall distance varies?

I personally would go to my local engineers, who we use a lot, and have it made specially, we do it alot mate, and although you may have to pay more obviously the end result will look good, same with the tray.
In addition i think your customer will be impressed at the diversity you are willing to go for a stunning looking job.

If price allows then it's definately worth taking the extra time and getting it right wether you have the skill to do it yourself or getting it done by a steely.

IMO cost is the overriding factor in this situation, how much does the client want to spend. Also will it all be on show at the end or hidden away by a suspended ceiling or the like.

If price allows then it's definately worth taking the extra time and getting it right wether you have the skill to do it yourself or getting it done by a steely.

IMO cost is the overriding factor in this situation, how much does the client want to spend. Also will it all be on show at the end or hidden away by a suspended ceiling or the like.

Surely we have not gone through all this debate if it is going to be hidden above a ceiling!!!!!

The thing that makes me wonder is the fact the OP states that it's all going to be hung on unistrut.

If it was on show then why not fix direct to wall and have all drops coming straight down from trunking rather than sets and angle boxes coming out of the trunking and then onto the wall.

Sounds like he's converting a windmill or something??:confused:

hi i would never dream of having this made up for me .
jobs like this its nice to stand back when you have done it and take pride in your skill
its really not that hard just takes time

Reply to trunking and tray in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock