Discuss trunking double sets in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davelerave

hey

i'm going round a few walls in 3" steel and have to set out and back in again a few places about 100mm

or so

what's the best way to do this with manufactured bends thanks

and what do i need to link the trunking with(for continuity)thanks

manufactured bends every time ,you can buy earth links with trunking but if its galv. i can,t see why you need them you could check with trunking manufacturer

yours benji

Personally i make sets and use bought 90 degree bends and always use the bonding straps.

Manufactured bends come with trench plates anyway. I do add a serated washer aswell though as there is a bit of play in the holes.

in theory, you could test for continuity at the end of the run of trunking and if you get continuity, job done! its not like anybody uses it as CPC anymore. well maybe some people do!

If you're only setting out around 100mm and there a lot of sets to do you may be able to stand the trunking off from the wall with wooden or unistrut brackets and just do a straight run down the whole wall, depending on the circumstances.
Using 90 degree bends you would basically need 2 back to back, and might even need to trim them down, so it may be better to use 45 degree angles to create a smoother 'sweep' around the set cutting the internal corners, again depending on the circumstances.

ok

i figure i'll 'set out' on each side with a 90 inside lid bend and back a straight piece onto them
if that makes sense

2 right angles per jump

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using 3inch trunking, cut trunking and leave the back on,dont cut off, on the front of the cut measure 1.5inches either side, mark and only cut off small flange sections, then fold trunking together untill small flange sections meet, drill and bolt other flange sections that have gone into each other.

this will give you 45degrees, then measure the distance for your set, if its 100mm put a straight edge on the small flange side of the trunking and measure 100mm at right angles from your straight edge up to your trunking on the 45degree set, this will be where you need to set back, mark and measure 1.5inches to the right of your original mark, and mark around trunking this is where you need to cut, leaving small flanges on, do not cut off,

from your cut measure 1.5inches to your right so you will have marks 1.5inches either side of your cut, cut out these areas on the back of the trunking, and again fold trunking together drill and bolt.

you should have a 100mm dog leg, measure the distance you need to dog back in and repeat the proceedure in reverse.

if you use 50mm trunking, 25mm either side will give you 45Deg, if you cut 50mm either side it will give you 90Deg best of luck, ive done hundreds of these its quite easy once you have done one.

So what are you asking advice for!!!!!!!

the job is done i don't need your help -you don't appear to have a positive contribution to make anyway

in case you hadn't noticed a lot of people ask for advise here

the issue was regarding a shallow 100mm doubleset

I once worked for a 'major company' at meadowhall shopping centre sheffield. when being built, perrhaps 15 years ago..they introduced a new bonus scheme (incidentely was outlawed by by all, the company got round it because it was 'none electrical'...anyhow you got 4 minutes for making one set, it gets worst, they deemed one set was in fact a complete bend, or a double dog leg...**** takin the ****, it takes 4 mins just to mark it out....i was an opt out operative, as were 99% of sparks

Reply to trunking double sets in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net