Discuss Trunking for cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a job of running a new cable to a DBB. The 16A MCB is in place and the oven is rated at 3.9kw so needs to hard wired. The customer has tiled walls and will not allow me to remove them to run the cable. He wants the oven switch surface mounted.
I have approx 0.5m of cable from DBB to the surface mounted switch which will be for the oven

The switch is a fair distance from the oven but what would you guy recommend using as trunking for a surface mounted cable?

Thanks

Last edited:
The switch is a fair distance from the oven but what would you guy recommend using as trunking for a surface mounted cable?

Thanks

What do you call a fair distance? If it's too far then it defeats the object of the switch!
A good rule of thumb, based on previous regulations, is to keep it within 2m of the appliance it controls.

As for what to use as trunking then you could do worse than to use trunking! What type of cable are you using and what size is it? You'll more than likely want a bit of bodgers trunking

What do you call a fair distance? If it's too far then it defeats the object of the switch!
A good rule of thumb, based on previous regulations, is to keep it within 2m of the appliance it controls.

As for what to use as trunking then you could do worse than to use trunking! What type of cable are you using and what size is it? You'll more than likely want a bit of bodgers trunking
It falls just outside of the 2m I suggested moving it closer but it is close enough to do its job.
I was going to use 6mm cable T&E as have a roll of that left in the van.

It falls just outside of the 2m I suggested moving it closer but it is close enough to do its job.

Sounds a bit OTT to me when you're running from a 16a MCB and with the loading specified. Up to you though.

And there was me thinking you would have selected the cable size and type based on some calculations and consideration of the regulations! But of course using up whatever you have lying around in the back of the van is just as good as doing calculations.

And there was me thinking you would have selected the cable size and type based on some calculations and consideration of the regulations! But of course using up whatever you have lying around in the back of the van is just as good as doing calculations.

Well one I have it in the van but secondly this is a second hand small oven for these guys and they are looking to upgrade to a bigger one later in the year when they can afford it. The trunking is temp until they re-tile the kitchen when it will be mounted in the wall. Now if the 6mm is 34A rated I can swap it over when the time comes onto a 32A MCB if need be. Just seem to make sense to me but hey what would I know I'm just a newbie at this to you oh wise great ones who proceed to flame every post that seems to be made :hurray:

Well one I have it in the van but secondly this is a second hand small oven for these guys and they are looking to upgrade to a bigger one later in the year when they can afford it. The trunking is temp until they re-tile the kitchen when it will be mounted in the wall. Now if the 6mm is 34A rated I can swap it over when the time comes onto a 32A MCB if need be. Just seem to make sense to me but hey what would I know I'm just a newbie at this to you oh wise great ones who proceed to flame every post that seems to be made :hurray:
You didn't say the trunking was only temporary, although if they're getting the kitchen re-tiled why can't you remove the tiles and chase the cable into the wall now? A half decent tiler should be able to remove and replace the tiles as they were anyway.
6mm still seems like overkill even if they're getting a 'bigger' oven - it may be slightly bigger, but still within reason. Remember you can run most ovens off a plugtop, and you can run a 20A radial in 2.5mm, which will be a lot easier to terminate.

I would use trunking as trunking and I would use cable for my cable runs.......not sure I really understand this thread......Is it a wind up?

If you see the OP's only other post apart from this thread, he has introduced himself as a do-it-all renovator having recently completed the usual Electrical Trainee glut of mostly worthless bits of paper.
Two days ago he was asking for experience as he has none, yet today he is competent enough to be working unsupervised apparently.

What kind of oven do they have at the moment?

What kind of oven are they planning to install? How many ovens have you come across that have more than a 2.5kW element in the main oven or for the grill?
If the new oven is going to be part of kitchen remodelling and retiling etc then you'll likely be running a new supply in at that time anyway, unless you manage to follow the exact route that the chasing will take with this trunking install. And with a total distance of 0.5m from CU to switch and ~2m from switch to oven (from your OP) is it really that big a problem to run a new supply when the time comes?

Asking questions like what kind of trunking should I use is guaranteed to get a negative response as you would normally expect anyone who has gone through an apprenticeship or even the most basic training to know what trunking is available.

Last edited:
If you see the OP's only other post apart from this thread, he has introduced himself as a do-it-all renovator having recently completed the usual Electrical Trainee glut of mostly worthless bits of paper.
Two days ago he was asking for experience as he has none, yet today he is competent enough to be working unsupervised apparently.

I think you'll find it said I had done various bits but looking for more experience. Try to read a post and then get facts right before becoming a keyboard warrior!

I have NVQ5 in Mechanical Engineering a Masters in Engineering and an IEng so not too daft and have managed multi million dollar projects for offshore. But I wanted a career change and I have been renovating properties for the past 20 odd years whilst working offshore.
I have done various electrical stuff like wire in a DBB (under supervision) and the general stuff around my home and then had it checked by a Competent Person. I have worked with 3Phase equipment wiring in motors and existing electricians in the field but domestic is a lot different and I want to get it right and ensure others are safe
I did the "worthless" bits of paper so I can grow my business and once I feel I have enough experience to join a competent person scheme.
I know after doing a 4 year apprenticeship what you learn doing that is a lot different to "out there" doing hence why I was asking for further experience. For some reason you deem that as a negative thing?
I'm sorry I am not an all singing and dancing sparky such as your good self. I just hope one day if I can offer advice on the subject I would rather than try to belittle them through a keyboard

What kind of oven do they have at the moment?

What kind of oven are they planning to install? How many ovens have you come across that have more than a 2.5kW element in the main oven or for the grill?
If the new oven is going to be part of kitchen remodelling and retiling etc then you'll likely be running a new supply in at that time anyway, unless you manage to follow the exact route that the chasing will take with this trunking install. And with a total distance of 0.5m from CU to switch and ~2m from switch to oven (from your OP) is it really that big a problem to run a new supply when the time comes?

Asking questions like what kind of trunking should I use is guaranteed to get a negative response as you would normally expect anyone who has gone through an apprenticeship or even the most basic training to know what trunking is available.

I know what trunking is available but what have people used and why? Thats all the question ever was - I seriously wish I had left it alone and joined another forum lol

However no need to worry they have had the job professionally done for £50 by a handyman who has wired it to a plug and then into an extension lead into the ring main and said I was talking poo saying it needed to be run back to DBB.......

Reply to Trunking for cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net