Discuss trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

justanoob

Hi All,
just wondered if someone could help i am installing a switch on outside of an internal wall upstairs so no more than 1.5m in length only putting it vertical so putting it in trunking but this is where im a lil confused. do i cut hole in plaster board ceiling for wires only or do i need to carry on the trunking above there as well if so where do i stop trunking and also i think im meant to seal where the cut is in the plaster board in the trunking with some kind of fire proof stuff but what is it and would i need to do this etc hope you can understand what im talking about and look forward to your replys.

no not possible to fish down wall as they seem to have put horizontal battons on the plasterboard wall so keeps stopping at there if you see what i mean. what about this sealing it with fire stuff is this needed ???

no not possible to fish down wall as they seem to have put horizontal battons on the plasterboard wall so keeps stopping at there if you see what i mean. what about this sealing it with fire stuff is this needed ???

No offence mate but this is why you should have got work as an electrician's mate/labourer to learn the basics.

sorry derek no can do lol just asking for a lil help havnt you ever asked for help on here or anywhere for that matter?

you only have 15 posts just now, so a good name.
what happens when you have 1,015?!

You need to learn about building structure and basic builders techniques . I'm assuming the battens you are talking about are called noggings, you have to drill through these with a wood bit, cutting a hole in the plasterboard which you keep and then making good with batten and packers then either skim with multi finish or filler. Then paint. You also should make sure your cables are run in the zones outlined in the OSG.

You need to learn about building structure and basic builders techniques . I'm assuming the battens you are talking about are called noggings, you have to drill through these with a wood bit, cutting a hole in the plasterboard which you keep and then making good with batten and packers then either skim with multi finish or filler. Then paint.

This is getting worse :hand:,we now have noggin the nob

ok derek thank you for your info but the customer has said he wasnt planning on lighting this part of his house so got it plastered and he said he does not want me chasing the plaster or board out etc thats why he asked for trunking which he is paying for so cant say no. can you give more info anyone plz.

Justanoob,

Are you qualified?? Just wondering..

The horizontal battens, don't suppose your talking about plaster and lathe? lots of wooden strips flowing horizontaly with plaster coated over the top...If you are then you can fish the cable.

scorino yes only just qualified tho so a lil cautious thats all i would rather ask n do it right than be called, anyway the way he told me was bearing in mind im no joiner he drilled woods direct onto brick vertically every 2ft and then screwed wood which im calling the battons horizontally every 200mm from floor to ceiling if you see what i mean then plasterboarded and plastered over top so im thinking not possible to fish cable am i right thinkin this??

if you have this problem just dropping a cable to a switch god knows what the rest of the installation is like

onions mod me!!

Typical customer: expects you to magically put a switch in the middle of nowhere without disturbing anything.

It seems odd he/she doesn't want the plasterboard holing and refilling to do it properly, which will end up invisible, but prefers an ugly strip of white plastic trunking permanently on display instead!

Reply to trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock