Discuss TT High Zs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paulk11

Evening. Did a Zs test today on a TT lighting circuit and got a reading of 335ohms. I haven't checked Ze yet but I'm presuming that's also in the same ball park. I'm aware of the upper limit Zs of 1667 and the advice contained within the good book that states Zs should be below 200, so I'm in the middle. I've advised homeowner that it should be reduced if possible and I see a couple of options; Add an earth rod or increase the main earth with a 16mm CSA cable (it's currently only 6mm). It's been pouring with rain all week so no point adding water. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Changing the CSA of the cable to the stake isn't going to help that much with a RA that high... best add a 2nd and possibly a 3rd rod, and make sure they go nice and deep!
Where do we stand regarding the 200ohm limit though? If max is 1667 then why worry at all?

It is considered unstable above 200ohms

Changing the cable from 6 to 16mm will only make a tiny difference, less than 1 ohm for sure.
Although the high Ze is strictly speaking acceptable combined with 30ma RCD protection I'd try and get it lower.
A decent 5/8 rod even 2 coupled together should make a difference although I know how hard it can be to get a rod in the ground in many places 'down west' in Cornwall. :)

Yes
It is considered unstable above 200ohms
Yes, I got that bit as its stated in 7671 but can someone elaborate on the 'unstable' bit. What does that actually mean? Why should we worry as the max permitted is much higher? Trying to comprehend it (still). Cheers

Changing the cable from 6 to 16mm will only make a tiny difference, less than 1 ohm for sure.
Although the high Ze is strictly speaking acceptable combined with 30ma RCD protection I'd try and get it lower.
A decent 5/8 rod even 2 coupled together should make a difference although I know how hard it can be to get a rod in the ground in many places 'down west' in Cornwall. :)
It's on an estate so may be doable

The max 1667 ohms applies if the breaker controlling the circuit is 30mA. I would suggest a ze test carried out and a reading of sub <200 ohms should be obtained for a stable earth reading.

If it is on an estate probably isn't using the rod as a return anyway. Be interesting to know the Ze with the bonds isolated, could be a case of the earthing conductor doing no more than earthing the electrode.

If it is on an estate probably isn't using the rod as a return anyway. Be interesting to know the Ze with the bonds isolated, could be a case of the earthing conductor doing no more than earthing the electrode.
When I say estate, I mean that in the loosest possible terms!! There's a few houses, big for these parts!!. Ze (or Ra on a TT) is the next move and then perhaps an extra rod. May call dno too to enquire. Thanks very much.

Yes

Yes, I got that bit as its stated in 7671 but can someone elaborate on the 'unstable' bit. What does that actually mean? Why should we worry as the max permitted is much higher? Trying to comprehend it (still). Cheers

The fact is that Bs7671 does not give a maximum Ra value and does not state that the value must be stable....only that a value exceeding 200 ohms may be unstable. Nobody has ever given a valid reason as to why it needs to be stable as far as I can recall.
People pluck values out of the air for their preferred maximum..The NIC seem to favour 100ohms,and I recall a poster on here saying he gets twitchy if it's over 80 ohms. Nobody has ever given a valid reason for their preferred value.
If your Ra is around 335ohms then it is in full compliance with Bs7671 and you need do no more, although you may choose to .
In that case pluck a figure out of the air like everyone else seems to do.

Mind you 335 at the moment when it's rained heavily for ages and the ground is pretty saturated could go sky high when the ground dries out.

Mind you 335 at the moment when it's rained heavily for ages and the ground is pretty saturated could go sky high when the ground dries out.

Probably not by around 1300 ohms though!
This is where it gets silly because of 7671's vague requirements, it's left to the tester/installer to decide what is acceptable...10...20...80...100...200 ohms? Whatever you fancy.

Yes - my thinking too. I haven't checked the 'above 200 unstable' statement in Table 41.5 but I'm prepared to accept it.

For a really good debate - what code would you give this, if any? :)

I've read here, that depending on how you carry out your Zs test, you might not be getting an accurate figure. Try bypassing RCD and two wire high current test. See what result you get then? Do Ze test, R1+R2 test?

The fact is that Bs7671 does not give a maximum Ra value and does not state that the value must be stable....only that a value exceeding 200 ohms may be unstable. Nobody has ever given a valid reason as to why it needs to be stable as far as I can recall.
People pluck values out of the air for their preferred maximum..The NIC seem to favour 100ohms,and I recall a poster on here saying he gets twitchy if it's over 80 ohms. Nobody has ever given a valid reason for their preferred value.
If your Ra is around 335ohms then it is in full compliance with Bs7671 and you need do no more, although you may choose to .
In that case pluck a figure out of the air like everyone else seems to do.
Ha ha! That seems to sum it up nicely Wirepuller! I'll have to discuss with the customer and see what she wants to do but an extra earth rod is looking likely. Cheers

Yes

BS7671 only states that values above 200 ohms may be unstable, it is not a definitive figure or a target value.
You should aim to achieve a value of Ra as low as possible, ideally low enough for ADS.
Instability is often a result of seasonal changes in ground conditions, especially cold weather causing freezing of the ground. A number of deep driven earth electrodes in parallel will provide a far more stable value than a skinny 4' rod.
I usually start with 2x 8' long 5/8" dia rods spaced as far apart as possible for a small installation and take it from there.

If soil conditions prevent driving the rods to a sensible depth then other options need to be explored such as horizontal electrodes.

Reply to TT High Zs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock