Discuss TT installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
Any useful help
Or similar expieriences accepted.

TT installation with two fuse boards as normal fitted with rcbo's.

First fuse board is fitted for the house installation and second fuse board is fitted for the shed with one 40A rcbo.

They had new tarmac put down which the owner said they damaged the cable going to shed.

The shed rcbo trips when they turn on the shower on the house installation board, but works when the shower is off.

Anyone seen similar fault before ??

I will go and test cable myself next time I'm down that way and try work it out

As Richards drawing explains at the common point ( the isco's in your case) of the neutrals the current splits according to the resistance of the fault vs the resistance of the circuit as resistors in parallel.

Last edited:
2 years ago I tracked a fault on a lighting / smoke circuit (on its own RCBO) - it tripped every time they switched on the oven (on a RCD).

Leakage from the oven to earth "pushed" the RCBO over the 23mA trip......

It does happen

How are the Cu's supplied? Tails into the house board and off the live side of main switch to second? or henley blocks? Or a circuit from house board supplying shed board???

If I change the rcbo to mcb of the armoured going to the shed and protect circuits at shed with rcd mains switch.

But then the armoured isn't protected for fault current as probably high ze reading

Which = replace cable with another route or rig up tarmac and repair if he knows where was damaged

N-E fault on the armoured going to shed, which is supplied from its own rcbo and separate enclosure which is fed from iscos

Il go have a good nosey if he willing to pay for it

If I change the rcbo to mcb of the armoured going to the shed and protect circuits at shed with rcd mains switch.

But then the armoured isn't protected for fault current as probably high ze reading

Which = replace cable with another route or rig up tarmac and repair if he knows where was damaged

Murray loop/wheatstone bridge.

Reply to TT installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net