Discuss TT System 100ma S Type Housing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

saspm

Hi,

Got a Domestic TT system which needs a new 100ma S Type RCD. What are your thoughts on this being placed in an Insulated or metal enclosure?

It is not in an external meter cupboard so falls under 421.1.201 (within domestic).

Thanks,

When you say new, is it a replacement for an existing one (i.e. is there already an enclosure) or is it an addition to the installation?

If it's the later, I'd go with metal if it's not in a non-combustible enclosure and if it's the former I might give the customer the choice.

When you say new, is it a replacement for an existing one (i.e. is there already an enclosure) or is it an addition to the installation?

If it's the later, I'd go with metal if it's not in a non-combustible enclosure and if it's the former I might give the customer the choice.

It doesn't even have one:confused:. It has an older 16th edition board so half the circuits are 30ma protected

I'm actually now thinking of just putting a standard 30ma RCD on the other side of the board as there is room to convert it to a 17th edition and move some circuits around. They are thinking about having some work done on the lighting circuits anyway. Would this negate the need for a time delayed RCD?

I assume its a plastic unit so no special protection for the supply tails are needed
The Rcds being double pole will do just fine without a S type

I assume its a plastic unit so no special protection for the supply tails are needed
The Rcds being double pole will do just fine without a S type

Yeah it is an old Wylex plastic 16th edition board. Not too sure why it didn't have an RCD in front though, wasn't this a requirement of 16th edition boards?:confused:

I believe that a time delayed RCD would be required in front of a non-combustible consumer unit, like the amendment 3 ones.

Thanks for clarifying! :)

Yeah it is an old Wylex plastic 16th edition board. Not too sure why it didn't have an RCD in front though, wasn't this a requirement of 16th edition boards?:confused:

I believe that a time delayed RCD would be required in front of a non-combustible consumer unit, like the amendment 3 ones.

Thanks for clarifying! :)
Your welcome:)

Most all TT systems have always required a Rcd for earth fault protection
A 16th board on TT with half the circuits minus Rcd protection would not have complied at the time it was installed

As long as further protection ( shrouding the entry and securing the tails) is applied,there is no absolute need to fit a Rcd before the metal board

As long as further protection ( shrouding the entry and securing the tails) is applied,there is no absolute need to fit a Rcd before the metal board

Thanks!

That's one for the memory banks! I put a 100ma S type RCD in a insulated Wylex ip enclosure on the last 17th ed board I did which was used for a surveillance visit. Nothing mentioned by them about it:(

Your welcome:)

A 16th board on TT with half the circuits minus Rcd protection would not have complied at the time it was installed

To say it would not have complied at the time is not correct, both 16th and 17th Editions state an rcd (incorporating overcurrent protection) or an overcurrent protective device may be used for fault protection. Both state the rcd is the "preferred" option.

To say it would not have complied at the time is not correct, both 16th and 17th Editions state an rcd (incorporating overcurrent protection) or an overcurrent protective device may be used for fault protection. Both state the rcd is the "preferred" option.

Providing disconnection times are met with a low Zs on all circuits not protected by RCD?

Surely this would be all catered for in the initial design anyway!

Well,the reason I used the term "most" at the start of the reply was precisely because of the reason you state ;)
But I agree if anyone was to state "it would not have complied" I too may have posted a similar response as yours:)

Well,the reason I used the term "most" at the start of the reply was precisely because of the reason you state ;)
But I agree if anyone was to state "it would not have complied" I too may have posted a similar response as yours:)
What are "most TT systems" are there different types.

What are "most TT systems" are there different types.

Most TT systems is used as a numerical term to portray the overwhelming number of TT sytems that need Rcd protection (when compared to those that can rely on the Mcbs only) and you know "exactly" what was meant by myself

Why are you pushing for conflict of opinion,you and I know exactly what is required
Nothing I posted has sought to cause mischief with yourself or anyone else

Reply to TT System 100ma S Type Housing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net