Discuss TT systems and RCBO's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 9648

Why are standard single pole RCBO's not advised for a TT system? Sure I've seen this somewhere....something to do with not disconnecting the N with a N-E fault potentially allowing a fault current to continue to divert to earth from the neutral.. But then a SP RCBO, or MCB on a TN system would result in the same issue. Why only TT's?

TT systems are not different in this regard. Isolation of all live conductors will be achieved elsewhere (main switch). However single pole RCBOs are poor for the reasons mentioned (a neutral/earth fault is detected but left in circuit) but this is not unique to TT systems.

Why are standard single pole RCBO's not advised for a TT system? Sure I've seen this somewhere....something to do with not disconnecting the N with a N-E fault potentially allowing a fault current to continue to divert to earth from the neutral.. But then a SP RCBO, or MCB on a TN system would result in the same issue. Why only TT's?
Good question, I was too frightened to ask myself. :)

I too have wondered this. I believe rcbos do meet the requirements of the regulations as they will switch the line and the main switch will be used as the isolator, but this does not answer your question.

The responder (GeoffBlackwell) in this thread (IET Forums - tt new db rcbo question IET forums) seems very knowledgeable and this is a response from him:

There are at least three points to consider here:

1) Most RCBOs are only single pole and will not, therefore, be suitable for isolation on a TT system, as this must be all pole.

Whether this matters or not depends on what you are calling the means of isolation for each circuit. Remember - isolation is required to allow work on conductors that would normally be live.

2) The second point concerns what method of shock protection is employed between the outgoing terminals of the main switch and the input terminals of the RCBO.

This is currently up for discussion at the Electrical Safety Council so my advice would be to ask the manufacturer of the DB.

3) If your TT system is derived from a TN-C-S system a single pole RCBO will not disconnect the supply neutral in the event of a neutral to earth fault (it will only switch off the line). This may result in your TT installation being connected to a TN-C-S neutral via the fault - not good if its an out door hot tub http://www.------.org/forums/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

All in all I would fit an S type front end RCD but its your call.

Regards

Last edited:
Schneider specifically state that their SP rcbos are not suitable for TT, but they do also make a decent DP rcbo

But why?...given that isolation can be achieved by the main switch and disconnection in the event of a fault will be no different to any other system not employing DP ADS.

By the way...this has come up now due to a problem with unresolved random tripping on a duel RCD board resulting in several loss of freezer contents. The supply is direct from a DNO head and not derived from another supply. Issue as far as freezers concerned has been resolved (for now) by reconfiguring the existing board to include a SP RCBO dedicated to the freezers.

Hi

Im with jackhammer, in TT systems, under certain fault conditions you can get a large N - E potential, so double pole isolation on TT is required at some point in system.

Cheers

But why?...given that isolation can be achieved by the main switch and disconnection in the event of a fault will be no different to any other system not employing DP ADS.

By the way...this has come up now due to a problem with unresolved random tripping on a duel RCD board resulting in several loss of freezer contents. The supply is direct from a DNO head and not derived from another supply. Issue as far as freezers concerned has been resolved (for now) by reconfiguring the existing board to include a SP RCBO dedicated to the freezers.

That would be interesting to know, however manufacturers instructions do not necessarily have intelligent answers behind them!

I can only assume the answer is due to the possibility of higher voltages being present than on a TN system between the suppliers neutral and the earth rod?? But like you said, if this is the answer, what sort of voltages are we talking about, >50V?

Assuming a TT with a stable low Ra. It would be possible to rely on fuses or mcb's for earth fault protection. Or would it? Why don't SP overcurrent devices have manufacturers instructions that they are not suitable for TT systems as apparently do some SP RCBO's?

That would be interesting to know, however manufacturers instructions do not necessarily have intelligent answers behind them!

That's true, but considering this is from what is effectively the merlin gerin part of Schneider I think it's going to be pretty trustworthy info

Assuming a TT with a stable low Ra. It would be possible to rely on fuses or mcb's for earth fault protection. Or would it? Why don't SP overcurrent devices have manufacturers instructions that they are not suitable for TT systems as apparently do some SP RCBO's?

Hi

Well they are okay, you just also need to have double pole isolation.

Cheers

I can't find any specific answer to this!

Here's another suggestion though, funnily enough in response to a question from yourself:)
See​
post #26
http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...es-electrical-regulations/64662-rcbo-s-2.html

Hi

The answer has been given. On a TT system the Neutral isn't reliably earthed. So if we have a fault, phase to earth, could be a network fault or a property with no RCD, some of the voltage will be dropped accross the Transformer earth Rb, this raises the neutral Voltage. Any other system connected to that neutral will also see the Voltage, which can be considerable. So in a TT you need to isolate both poles.

Cheers

Reply to TT systems and RCBO's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock