Discuss Twin and Earth riser - buried in the wall. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Putting a new CU into a flat. The riser is protected by a fused switch (immediately after the meter). The riser is in 16mm T+E i.e non armoured. I can't see it anywhere so it must be within the fabric of the building Is this a non compliance?

As Tel says - it's normally a 6mm cpc on 16mm T&E and may not be sufficient for an earthing conductor.

If the cable is < 50 mm from surface then it requires additional protection in the form of
A 30mA rcd
B cable has sufficient mechanical protection covering it (3mm plate steel)
C cable is installed in earthed metal containment (conduit or trunking)
D cable has an earthed metal covering such as swa which can withstand fault currents from being Penitrated by nails and screws.

If cable is buried in a wall with metal parts other than screws then depth is irrelevant and cable must be protected by options A-D

As the cable is exiting to cu and it would cause major disruption to do either of the options then I would personally just make a remark on the test certificate

As has already been covered by the other lads posts bonding is something that needs considering as already said the cpc in 16mm will be 6mm.
Only really acceptable if it's a TN-S system or TT.

As Tel says - it's normally a 6mm cpc on 16mm T&E and may not be sufficient for an earthing conductor.
A 6mm may be satisfactory as a cpc provided the Adiabatic equation is satisfied, however if you mean as a combined cpc/ bonding conductor then if pme it won't be.

In the south of Ireland 16mm^2 T&E has a 10mm^2 cpc, although as stated BS cable has a 6mm^2 cpc.

Reply to Twin and Earth riser - buried in the wall. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock