Discuss Two bathroom lighting circuits one fan in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello i'm a builder constructing a very posh bathroom. The customer wants two lighting circuit, one main the other mood but both ned to trigger the in line fan. In electronics ( my background ) I'd use an OR gate, is there a 240v alternative, my electrician doesn't know of anything. Customer really wants to shower with mood lighting.
Cheers

So our ensuite has two lighting circuits in it - one mood lighting controlled by pir, the other lots of watts of led lighting ( north facing bathroom) which also operates the fan.

idea being that in the middle of night mood lighting comes on automatically so no fumbling for the switch and no blinding amount of light as you step through from bedroom,- we did have the fan on the circuit but even the quietest fan made a bl**dy racket in an otherwise silent house in the middle of the night.

if they absolutely need something to operate the fan when in "mood lighting" mode how about using a humidity sensor in parallel to the main lights circuit That way if the mood lighting is on ( or its daytime) then the fan comes on with the steam from the shower or if the main lights are on then the fan runs normally.

Last edited:
Thankyou sparkies. One question if you use two dp switches wont both lighting circuits come on at same time if you take both of the switch lives to the fan. Me not understand? PIR sounding good

Thankyou sparkies. One question if you use two dp switches wont both lighting circuits come on at same time if you take both of the switch lives to the fan. Me not understand? PIR sounding good

Hi mate. If you look at happysteve's post #6 and the picture he has done then you will be sorted.
What you have is two separate double pole switches. Each switch has two contacts. The top contact switches on the fan and the bottom contact switches on the relevant light.
The only time both lights will come on at the same time is if you switch both light switches on at the same time.

Reply to Two bathroom lighting circuits one fan in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net