Discuss Type of power cables for home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Vitaliy

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I'm from Ukraine. May be I've created this topic in wrong place - sorry.
May be this is strange question, but we have a holy wars based on this question... Our standards are not perfect, that's is a reason of such questions.
I want to ask, which types of cables are you using for home fixed wiring? I mean in-walls mounted sockets and switches like on picture:
Type of power cables for home {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Which types of cables is allowed for fixed wiring?:
1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Which of them is not allowed for use?
Is there prohibition on using of stranded wires?
And also in what way cables should be connected?
Where can I read about this more?
Thanks!

for domestic stuff in UK you have mostly "twin and earth", 2 insulated cores for live and neutral, one uninsulated for earth (helps with stripping the cable to terminate it, you put your own insulation whenever needed). up to 2.5 mm^2 size they come as solid core, larger ones have couple of smaller strands.
theres "3 core and earth" , used on multi-switch lighting circuits, boiler controls and fire alarm wiring.
there is flex cable too, is more expensive and needs ferrules to nicely terminate it, is not used much often on fixed wiring installs.

have a look here - guide to UK wiring, cable section.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.1.1.htm

when there is a conduit available for the wiring then single cables can go in, like on your picture no. 2

Last edited:
The UK regs don't allow for junction boxes, like in your picture, to be buried in the walls

With all respect you need to source a competent person knowledged in your own regions regulations as ours are British Standards and can be much stricter as oppose to other countries.... advice and info given may not be correct to your country of origin.

Thanks for your answers.
I'm doing electricity in my home by myself. I have an experience in electronic circuit design, but when I've started reading our standards I became confused. In electronic devices I'm preferring to use flexible cable and in exceptional cases - solid wires. But our standards tells that we need to prefers solid wires and in exceptional cases - flexible for fixed wiring. So my logic crashed here... And I can't find a reason (it is not mentioned in rules). If reason is only economy then it is not a problem, but if there are some milestones - I want to know them.
Our standards are quite old and actually, based on your (or IEC or else) old version of rules. I want to make all according to rules but our rules are in conflict with my logic and experience. That's why I come here to ask you :)

Also in our rules we have a requirement which tells that we need to have possibility to change wire (cable) in fixed condition (under plaster for example), but it is almost impossible with solid triple cables.
But I assume that it is possible in a case like on this picture:

Is it allowed for use in UK? What are general recommendations for in-plaster mounted wiring?

amlu - thanks for your link, I will read it.

Murdoch
- what is allowed then?

Best regards!

Thanks for your answers.
I'm doing electricity in my home by myself. I have an experience in electronic circuit design, but when I've started reading our standards I became confused. In electronic devices I'm preferring to use flexible cable and in exceptional cases - solid wires. But our standards tells that we need to prefers solid wires and in exceptional cases - flexible for fixed wiring. So my logic crashed here... And I can't find a reason (it is not mentioned in rules). If reason is only economy then it is not a problem, but if there are some milestones - I want to know them.
Our standards are quite old and actually, based on your (or IEC or else) old version of rules. I want to make all according to rules but our rules are in conflict with my logic and experience. That's why I come here to ask you :)

Also in our rules we have a requirement which tells that we need to have possibility to change wire (cable) in fixed condition (under plaster for example), but it is almost impossible with solid triple cables.
But I assume that it is possible in a case like on this picture:

Is it allowed for use in UK? What are general recommendations for in-plaster mounted wiring?

amlu - thanks for your link, I will read it.

Murdoch
- what is allowed then?

Best regards!

I have no idea what the regs are in the Ukraine.

We can bury twin and earth direct in plaster, they have to comply to Zoning and also likely to require rcd protection too... the regs are too variable to give a staight answer to your question as its all circumstantial and you can be asked by local councils to install conduit systems in certain building to allow for easy rewiring.

Last edited:

Reply to Type of power cables for home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock