Discuss Types of electrical work out there in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jaydub

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just about to qualify as a sparky, last couple of months of all the relevant C&G courses, AM2 coming up etc etc.

My question is, what else could I go on to do with all my electrical qualifications? As I'll be honest, I hate my job at the moment, do mostly domestic and a bit of commercial. I've just stuck it out for 3 years to get the quals but I'm not staying in the game unless I can find an aspect of it that I find vaguely enjoyable!

What else is out there?

Cheers

Hi guys,

Just about to qualify as a sparky, last couple of months of all the relevant C&G courses, AM2 coming up etc etc.

My question is, what else could I go on to do with all my electrical qualifications? As I'll be honest, I hate my job at the moment, do mostly domestic and a bit of commercial. I've just stuck it out for 3 years to get the quals but I'm not staying in the game unless I can find an aspect of it that I find vaguely enjoyable!

What else is out there?

Cheers
Shame I hear this a lot from guys, but I don,t understand it, why stick it out if you don,t like the game.?

C&G 2357
C&G 2365
C&G 2377 PAT Testing (complete)
C&G 3667 Data comms L2 (complete)

This is what I have/am working towards.

Will also be doing the 17th edition qualification.

Cheers

Shame I hear this a lot from guys, but I don,t understand it, why stick it out if you don,t like the game.?

Because I've paid a fortune for the training as I'm 24 and have funded it all myself. I didn't want to quit after one or two years to have wasted all that money. I thought it would get better as I got through the beginning -----job-apprentice stage, but it hasnt.

A little bit of both, I do quite like 'wiring things up' and such when it gets a bit more involved. I was looking into panel building or something like that perhaps, but not really sure what to look for where to go with it. I hate crawling around in lofts, chasing, huge rewires, crawling about on my hands and knees, paying for all my training and supplying my own van and tools for the same money as someone shelf stacking in tesco.

Sorry for that rant.

Are you just doing domestic work ? I done new houses from the day I left school reaching the position by default of PDH/Q.S. at my last employer (who didn't want to comply with the regs ) so left and set up Ltd with mate doing commercial/schools as sub contract and our comercial clients its more involved , we find it more enjoyable as different

Understand where your coming from,when I first started I did council rewires for a least 10 years on & off.
Never really thought of it,just kept going,bills to pay etc.
Went to another company,& doing loads of different jobs now,but saying that I'm getting on a bit now,& getting ready to retire,& I definitely won't miss the life.
We just don't get looked after,like other people in lots of ways,I can see young lads will not wanna be Sparkies in this day & age.

Hi Jaydub welcome to the forum
Its a shame you are not enjoying the trade you have chosen but believe me the grass is not always greener on the other side m8. If you are just about to qualify as a fully qualified electrician stick it out buddy. Lots of sparks hate house bashing but have you thought about all the experience you have picked up if you are able to do the work yourself then maybe go it alone when you qualify, start a small business and you will receive a better income. You will possibly be able to take on a college learner or mature improver/mate and get them to do the dog work for you. If this does not appeal try looking at companies dealing with H.V work SSE/ SCHNEIDER on the sub stations this may appeal more. To me large electrical companies want a good days work out of you and may not pay great rates. If none of this appeals then maybe look at the further qualification options in design and planning. Hope this may be of some use and stick with it m8 a trade is priceless in this day and age

Jaydub having commented on your previous thread I would advise getting out there for a bit of variety after your apprenticeship is completed. You "may" find crawling through an attic becomes slightly easier when you take home £1000 per week rather than £1000 per month.
If you want to explore further then jump on an agency for a bit of a start, Use it to gather names,contacts experience of not being the "lad". You will find a lot of the big industrial contracting jobs are hard to get in the door unless you use the dreaded agency.
I have no idea what larger construction sites there are in your area but look out schools hospitals ect ect should get you some light industrial experience and improve your confidence if need be.
Other than that you can branch out side wards into solar or wind turbines ect ect. There will be a big push for these EV charging points all over the UK in coming years....try that out.
To be honest any misgivings that I had coming out of my time were quickly replaced when my wages literally shot up from apprentice to qualified electrician working on bigger construction sites.
If you can hack the domestic game and can do the speed and graft of the rewire teams then you can still earn relatively "good" cash for not too much thought but plenty sweat lol.

Reply to Types of electrical work out there in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net