Discuss Unable to access any (but can see) of the round type screw terminal joint boxes EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Unable to access any(but can see most) of the round type screw terminal joint boxes.

Hello,

I carried out anEICR last week, and the entire house is filled with SELV recessed downlighting.

All of the (78fittings) have been skimmed around/over at some point, and the(dangeling) round type screw terminal joint boxes are two large topull down through the lamp aperture.

I have pointed thisout to the customer, and explained that unless he accepts materialdamage to the ceiling/s so that I can access the terminals, this willbe entered on the report as a limitation (inspection and testing).

Iwas able to get acceptable R1-R2 continuity at switch drops & extractor fans.

My dilemma is,... ifthis many joint boxes are inaccessible, I feel that even with thestated (and agreed) limitation it still warrants a code 2, (526.3 &14.5.2-5), and so resulting in an unsatisfactory outcome, (all of theother circuits/ancillaries are now ok), it just seems to be harsh,but ultimately I do not know, and can not tell, if these lightingcircuits are either good or bad.

What do others do inthis situation please?

Many thanks.

Re: Unable to access any (but can see) of the round type screw terminal joint boxes E

Cant you get ya hand in the hole to unscrew the top off the jb and check it

Re: Unable to access any (but can see) of the round type screw terminal joint boxes E

Hello Baker1988,

Thanks for your reply, no the hole (without dropping the fittings) is the MR16 size +/- 50mm approx., and I have big'ish hands!

do you mean the muppet who installed them used JBs bigger than the 2" round ones?

do you mean the muppet who installed them used JBs bigger than the 2" round ones?
sounds like they have used 3/5 terminal 20amp jb's, i dont like it when they do this, if you must do it leave plenty of slack on the cables and use 5amp jb's or better yet a proper mf joint

that's OK then. can lay the blame on the DIYer or the muck spreaders. code D0 ( for do'nut )

You are all correct, fittings have been skimmed over, and then 'cleaned up', joint boxes (dangling not fixed or MF) are much bigger than lamp aperture. The skimmer I imagine did not have consider future maintenance/testing issues.

So, any opinions about EICR outome?

it's between a c2 and a c3. you have to decide if you think it's a potential danger(C2) or not (C3). either way, i'd put a comment saying " further investigation advised"

I think I would C3 inaccessible connections and could not justify any higher code just for being inaccessible, but this might rise to a C2 depending on test results.

Certainly "LIM" the inability to confirm R1 + R2, and recommend further investigation.

Submit invoice and walk away.

Thanks for responses so far, test results are -

Lighting up -
Cont. R1-R2 at switch drops and extractor only highest = .98 ohms (1.5/1 t&e, 6A type B cpd)
IR = R1+RN-R2 at 250v DC (unable to disconnect transformers) 63 Megohms

Lighting down -
Cont. R1-R2 as above = 1.26 ohms
IR = tested as above = >199 megohms.

Code 2 or 3?

Hello, Just wanted to thanks every ones input and comments, and leave a little feedback.

I decided to code as C3, provide a separate sheet to detail extent of operational limitations, and recommend further investigation.

After issuing EICR, Client is considering having all lights replaced with 230v LED's, this will coincide with new carpets, and greatly reduced electricity and maintenance bills!

Reply to Unable to access any (but can see) of the round type screw terminal joint boxes EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock