Discuss Under floor heating questions for your edification and entertainment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

He's already described that pretty clearly Anthony - I think atrocious is around the standard. In this situation as it's a bit desperate I'd test/verify the mat connections then consider using a programmable room stat, via a contactor for the load if necessary. With a bit of trial and error the customer could set a temperature equivalent to a nice warm floor temp.

From what I could see on initial inspection, electrics not good. Bare live wires hanging about the kitchen. Intention to put double range ovens (4.5kw) gas hob on ring (final) circuit along with dishwasher, tumble dryer and washing machine along with toaster kettle microwave electric grill etc. So not too good on the design side. I have run in a 20a circuit for the oven. He was going to get an electrician in (he told the client) but decided to "do it himself" The client baulked at this due to a catalogue of expensive errors. From what I have seen the builder would have been overreaching himself with the electrics.

Under floor heating questions for your edification and entertainment IMG_3280.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

It looks like it's just waiting to kill somebody, terrible ! I think this is more common than we realise but many unsuspecting customers who know no better trust builders to do electrics - I've had experience of a few [or the aftermath] who grab as many aspects of a job as possible, whether they know what they're doing or not doesn't seem to worry them.

It looks like it's just waiting to kill somebody, terrible
Precisely my thoughts one of the first things to deal with safe iso. and so on. Indicative of someone who has no idea of regs and H&S etc. At least the customer had enough nous to check and stop work, he has a wife and kids to think about.

I've done hundreds of these now. That thermostat/controller looks like an old heatmat one from around 10 years ago. Having said that I suspect theirs was a rebranded version of something else at the time.

Normally the thermostat/controller will run up to 16A of heating - you can obviously check this on yours.

You can buy heat mat between 120-200watts per sq/m, however in this case you don't know what's been fitted. You can find out the current rating of a mat by using ohms law. Measure the resistance of the mat and divide voltage by resistance.

The floor sensors normally read around 22kohms at around 20 degrees. They do vary though.

Reply to Under floor heating questions for your edification and entertainment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock