Discuss Underfloor Heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Quoting on a 3 storey house underfloor heating system, I've installed some very small mats in bathrooms before but not a whole house, I've used heat store in the past and not had any problems, does anyone have any recommendations for a good manufacturer?

You've given almost no information. Is this a new build or existing property? What type of floor structure is it? How big and how many are the rooms that require heating. What size electrical supply is available? Have you made any calcs for heat load requirements?

The more info you can give the better replies you're likely to get.

As said before i would be very aware of load requirements, i was doing a job in a large house where a flooring company was about to install electric underfloor heating on the whole of the ground floor, this was 200m2 plus

they never once consulted me, only to tell the client to get the electrician(me)to put a spur off the ring main in each room for their matts supplies!

The heat matting they were planning to lay was 150w per meter square(which is about average)

the main supply fuse was single phase 100a (meter rating only 80a)

can you work out the problem?

I was off on holiday within a couple of days and only by chance overheard the tiler talking to the client about stat positions

Never seen electric UFH for more than one or two rooms. The only whole house systems I have seen installed have been wet systems.

As said, you are unlikely to have the supply for it.

Do the load calculations and take it from there.

The last time I did a house on underfloor the stated load and the actual load were two very different things, unsurprisingly.

Thank you all for giving the time to reply, I've just checked this forum as I've got the quote back from the wholesalers recommended manufacturer warm up! Which seem really good. Don't worry guys I'm not going to blow the main fuse or cause any domestic violence I've checked the load and also their not getting the whole flooring area installed with underfloor heating the clients exact words were he'd like an "a la carte menu".. Awkward b.@s&rd.. Was just looking at different manufactures for underfloor heating, had installed heat store before but going for warm up now.. Next time I come on here ill give a more descriptive spec. I often come on here and read what's going on but would love the time to come and relay some kind of input.. Back to business, Specs for proposed heat mats 140watt most rooms, square meter depending on room, 200watt in tiled rooms... Annoying thing, as I said client wants "a la carte menu" so he can pick and chose which rooms to have underfloor heating... Patience

Reply to Underfloor Heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net