Discuss Underground street lighting duct types in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Street lighting ducts are in which cables are laid if not buried barely that suppies street lighting columns.
Some of the types are PVC, MDPE, HDPE ducts. but i do not know how different it would be for each type in terms of the size ,flexibility , space factor etc.
Street lighting ducts would be normally orange in color if i am not wrong.
Something similar to the below.
images
TD6350O_13.jpg

Regards,
Sunesha
Thanks wasn't sure what you were on about, perhaps if you had described the kit as cable ducting.

What document are you trying to prepare. You could try contacting the ILE (Institute of Lighting Engineers) who may give you more detailed information.

In Cornwall the policy was always utilising the DNO network for supplies to public lighting, this was mainly to avoid the problems that come with being responsible for maintaining and rectifying faults on the supply network and the cost implications. This is always in black ducting and generally there would be a 'hockey stick' arrangement at the lighting columns connected into the ducting to achieve the desired bending radius. However some supplies were fed via 'private' SWA cabling either from existing lighting columns or feeder pillars such as traffic bollard islands and signs on roundabouts as well as traffic signal installations. These supplies would always be in orange ducting. Generally 50mm ducting is used but signals generally need larger or multiple ducts back to the junction controller. Is anyone still awake.... ? :)

on highways etc there is colour coding to the ducts, I think it's something like black is electricity, orange traffic lights, green telecoms, yellow gas etc etc
On private land you can do whatever you like

I'm not so sure about that, you wouldn't want a live cable encased in blue or yellow really ?
Actually I'm surprised at you posting that Dave, imagine the implications of someone cutting into a blue pipe which would normally carry water and suddenly there's a big bang and flash...

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that, you wouldn't want a live cable encased in blue or yellow really ?
Actually I'm surprised at you posting that Dave, imagine the implications of someone cutting into a blue pipe which would normally carry water and suddenly there's a big bang and flash...

I wouldn't want a cable run in a blue or yellow duct, but I am not aware of any regulation s which prevents you doing so on private land if you so wish.

I always thought that the orange color conduit signified HIGH DENSITY which is used outdoors and underground, as opposed to the normal grey or whites which are used indoors ?
and conduit and ducting are different things to me ?

Reply to Underground street lighting duct types in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net