Discuss Underground street lighting duct types in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am preparing a document where i need to understand the street lighting duct types used in UK.
Could someone help me with the street lighting duct types and sizes normally used in UK.
Preferred sizes are 50mm, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm.

If not could you guide me to someone who could help me.

Regards,
Sunesha

Not had much to do with street lighting, what is "street lighting duct types"? that's a new one on me.

Street lighting ducts are in which cables are laid if not buried barely that suppies street lighting columns.
Some of the types are PVC, MDPE, HDPE ducts. but i do not know how different it would be for each type in terms of the size ,flexibility , space factor etc.
Street lighting ducts would be normally orange in color if i am not wrong.
Something similar to the below.
images
TD6350O_13.jpg

Regards,
Sunesha

Only really been involved in Street lighting when wiring private housing estates, main contractor used to install 75mm flexible ductwork usually.

Street lighting ducts are in which cables are laid if not buried barely that suppies street lighting columns.
Some of the types are PVC, MDPE, HDPE ducts. but i do not know how different it would be for each type in terms of the size ,flexibility , space factor etc.
Street lighting ducts would be normally orange in color if i am not wrong.
Something similar to the below.
images
TD6350O_13.jpg

Regards,
Sunesha

That's the stuff, couldn't for the life of me remember what it was made of.

Are not PVC ducts used anymore?

Could you provide me with the different sizes of HDPE and MDPE ducts used?
And when do we prefer HDPE/MDPE over PVC.

Are they rigid? if so will the bending be difficult? and should we need chambers for bents even less than 90 degrees?

Regards,
Sunesha

Never seen it used personally and been on quite a lot of new build sites(maybe they are different?)
All I see is the main cable for different houses and a torpedo joint with the cable coming off it into the bottom of the lampost

Never seen it used personally and been on quite a lot of new build sites(maybe they are different?)
All I see is the main cable for different houses and a torpedo joint with the cable coming off it into the bottom of the lampost

Never seen it done like that, all sites we did had service huts & the street lighting was fed from them.

Think your talking about about public lighting systems buddy. What I'm talking about was private Street lighting systems on small estates, the street lighting being supplied & run by whatever association or charity owned the estate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was a requirement to place cables within orange ducting.
It could well be a requirement it's not something I'm aware of , not had anything to do with it before it's just what I see.
Some supply cables aren't even ducted sometimes (unclear as to what the requirements actually are)as well but that's for northern power or whoever they get to install it's problem.

I'll have to take some photos next time I'm on a site

As far as I remember it was, that's what we always did anyway.
Like I said a torpedo joint is installed and a cable fed off it to the lampost as close as practically possible usually within 1-2 meters id say so perhaps no need to duct it as there's not a great deal of length.
I've not seen how every lampost is supplied mind just the odd one where the road is still dug up.

Anyway sorry for hijacking the thread:)

Reply to Underground street lighting duct types in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net